OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Open Office Crashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxgoof
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Open Office Crashing Reply with quote

About a month ago, Open Office has begun crashing on me. Doesn't matter what I do, doesn't matter what document I am editing, it could be new, it could be a spreadsheet, doesn't matter. Within minutes of starting, it either freezes and no longer responds, or out and out crashes, and then the crash recovery freezes.

I am using Windows Vista. It seems to crash sooner if I have more programs running, but it doesn't really matter how many I run, even if I am running only Open Office, eventually, it crashes. If I go into the Task Manager and end the soffice.bin process, I can restart the program where I left off at the last save.

But the crashes are coming more frequent. Lately I can't even do the first thing before it crashes.

Open Office is the ONLY program doing this. Please don't tell me to go through all my startup files to find out which one is causing the problem. The problem is Open Office.
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possible causes: a corrupt user profile or a corrupt installation.
Reset your user profile. Click here for help how to do that.
If that doesn't work, try a re-install or repair install.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other problem that causes crashes is the updater. Turn it off under Tools-->Options.
maxgoof
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning off the updater seemed to do the trick.

Is there a workaround?
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time no. Openoffice is in transition from Oracle to the Apache Software Foundation. Oracle is turning off their servers and Apache is not yet fully online. Quite frankly the updater never worked well and only installs a complete new version nay way.. The latest version is 3.3 and 3.4 will most likely be out some time next year from Apache.
AnnieMaggie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Documents Freezing Reply with quote

I am having the problem of, trying to open a document, it freezes, recovers it, but then freezes and gets caught in a loop. I am working on Windows XP, on Open Office 3.

Someone had the same problem and told to go to Tools - Options, and turn updater off. I dont seem to have the same layout, or maybe Im being thick. When I go Option, the nley thing that looks like it is on-line update, but there isnt an option to turn it off, just a box to untick for ' check for updates automatically' I've unticked it, but no difference! Please help!

Thanks
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untick check for updates automatically.
AnnieMaggie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Still crashing Reply with quote

I've unticked the box, but it is still crashing. Any other suggestions? Thanks
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Tools - Options - Load/save - General tab, un-tick Save auto-recovery information every ... minutes and see if that helps. Can't you open any file, or no Word files or other files with some specific characteristic?
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temporarily disable you AV and/or firewall software.
jasonllapp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: java caused my crash Reply with quote

After I did a fresh install of 3.4 OO would launch. As soon as I did a restart it would never start again. What I found was under tools/java the use Java was check marked by default, even though I had no java installed on the machine. I tried 7 and the crashing was replaced by a weird error (didn't like JRE7) as soon as I installed jre 6 all was well.

So the test is install OO before you do anything else launch openoffice app and uncheck tools/java and see if your crashes disappear.

Hope this help someone. Have a great day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: