OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OUTLINE MODE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webmasterpdx
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: OUTLINE MODE Reply with quote

I know this has been said and made into an actual bugfix before and the resources were assigned. OO needs to have Outline mode like in WORD before it will be useful for many people out there. I'm talking there are probably several million people who's only tie to MS is WORD because of Outline mode. It really is that big, yet this project has not implemented this effectively. No, Navigator does not do outline mode. You need to be able to number the chapters using the outline headers and to be able to expand and collapse the text in each outline subsection and the ones below the one selected (like it's done in WORD). No, it cannot be done in OO or Libre. There was one time where I was persistent on this and it was assigned as a bugfix and someone looked at it. Matched the issue up with one where it was argued that Navigator fixed it, and therefor assumed the problem was fixed and closed the bug as solved, when, in fact, it was not solved at all. This is an issue that needs to be embraced by the team as a very important feature and tackled until working.....not writing it off by finding an old bug statement that it was fixed when it wasn't even close. I know, I'd be a very happy man if this feature were available. Many users of Linux use VMWare with Windows and MSOffice in order to do their documentation.
Is there any chance that some talented member of the team would take on this as "their" issue and be a hero to those of us who still have to use windows because of the lack of WORD-like outline mode in Writer?
Check out here to get some unbiased views....
http://serendipity.ruwenzori.net/index.php/2006/11/05/openoffice-outline-mode
...just scroll down....
Thank you Mr unknown hero out there....
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Although I completely agree with you, there is nothing you achieve by posting it on this Forum.
This Forum is not a Wailing Wall, but rather a User Forum it is intended for users to help each other if they need support with a problem. Non of the developers come to this Forum.

Martin
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm talking there are probably several million people who's only tie to MS is WORD because of Outline mode.

Really? Where did you get this info?
Quote:
Many users of Linux use VMWare with Windows and MSOffice in order to do their documentation.

Really? I never met one. Where did you get this info?

Quote:
No, Navigator does not do outline mode.

No it does not, then outline mode does not do Navigator - they are two different ways of doing a similar job. OOo / LO is OOo / LO it is not a MSO clone which means the products have there own good and bad points and ways of doing things. The choice is yours which you use. Sometimes we need to adapt a little to what is available as nothing is ever going to be 100% as we want it.
webmasterpdx
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the correct place to post it where the developers would read it?
Thanks
-Donald

P.S. Navigator does not do the same thing as WORD outline mode.....
The numbers are just estimates based on people I talk to. Ask a random person who is computer savvy and uses one at work.....EVERY one I ask says this....no exception. I haven't found one yet that says that open office is good enough without outline mode. I'm not talking Linux and open source dedicated hackers in high school. I'm talking people doing real work in the real world.
floris_v

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enhancement requests should be posted here: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/
webmasterpdx
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much....
jamtat
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experimenting with VimOutliner as a sort of outliner/mind-map tool and it looks quite promising. I've tried Writer's outlining feature (for creating lecture notes) and find it really irritating and counter-productive. For my purposes it interferes more than helps with the task. Problem with VimOutliner is producing a printed text that can be used as a working document from the podium. I'm working on ways of exporting the file VimOutliner produces, and Writer may be able to help with that--though that's an issue for a separate post.

But in response to the opening post. Have you thought of creating a screencast of how Word works in outline mode and that you could post to youtube or such, offering a link to that video from the place where you file the bug report? Devs who might work on this project may not be writers who've ever tried to use outline mode and may therefore be unable to appreciate what you find lacking in Writer. The video could give them a better idea of how you find the software deficient by demonstrating for them a model that works to your liking, and maybe get the issue finally addressed. Just an idea . . .

James
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamtat wrote:
I've tried Writer's outlining feature (for creating lecture notes)
James

Uh, what outlining feature?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: