OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice.org Global??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: OpenOffice.org Global?? Reply with quote

I have this application in my program group called OpenOffice.org Global. I am referring to the Windows version of OO. When I click on it, it just opens Writer. What's the purpose of this app if it can be called that.

Thanks!
Junip

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing. I'm thinking about deleting it from my program group since I don't use it anyway. It would be nice if there was some documentation on it.
dill
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the help:
A master document makes it possible to organize complex projects, (e.g., a book) using the Navigator for Master Documents. In a master document you can combine the files for the individual chapters of a book, for example, and create a common index.

It seems to be a way to combine lots of documents and create an easy way to store them all together. The help seems sparse from all the searching I've done.
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they really should document this better. The linux version of OOo that I use doesn't even include this app. Perhaps it's something left over from OOo's StarOffice roots?
dill
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All apps come from the old Star Office. The linux version DOES include it. Just no shortcut to it! Go into an app such as Writer and Click file-new-Master Document. Thats it. Global is the program that creates Master Documents. Hope that helps.
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does. Thanks.
yogo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense.

I think OOo should use more discretion in creating program shortcuts. If Global is really just a feature, why create a program icon for it? The additional program icon can be confusing to end-users. Same goes for OOo HTML Editor, which is really just Writer. If the goal is to make OOo look like a bigger suite than it is, then fine. But IMHO, it's better to keep things simple.
dill
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortcuts take up almost no room and I like them. i think it is good advertising of the features. With that one shortcut it makes it easier to know that OOo can even create web pages. At least its not a different app with minimal changes.
JZA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: OOo Reply with quote

I though OOo Global was similar to MS Binder which you can group XLS, PPT and DOC into a unique document.
When I saw OOo Global I though it was the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: