OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Is OOo compatible with Microsoft Access' .mdb files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cska_27

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Is OOo compatible with Microsoft Access' .mdb files Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just discovered OpenOffice.org. It looks really spectacular. I know that Writer and CALC are compatible with their respective MS Office counterparts of Word and Excel, but as an accountant, I also work a lot with Microsoft's Access, and sometimes work at home. What I wish to know is if OpenOffice.org is compatible with Access, as it is imperative for me to be able to use a database from both work and home. (At my workplace, there is only MS Office)

Thanks!
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cska_27,

cska_27 wrote:
What I wish to know is if OpenOffice.org is compatible with Access

No it isn't in the sense that you can't open .mdb files using OOo Sad. You can however connect to MS Access tables using OOo and create your own queries, forms and reports in OpenOffice.org.

However... in v2.0 (expected next year) there will be more changes to the OOo dB functionality:
http://dba.openoffice.org/miscellaneous/dba20.html#base20

BFN,
Josť Josephs
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: OO Database vs Access Reply with quote

The OO Database for Windows opens and sorts dbf files just fine. Access and Excel both have dbf outputs. _HOWEVER_ it doesn't do the same on Linux versions! The OO database will open dbf files, but won't index (sort) them with a one-click on the column name. This is a big disappointment on the Linux version. If you're a Linux user, it means having to maintain a Windows box to do this task.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: