OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Applying a filter with a macro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darren238
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Applying a filter with a macro Reply with quote

Hi guys im trying to apply a filter with a macro, at a click of a button instead of having the user go thru the manual steps.

it has to go through a column (column E) and filter it by the word oversea. thus only showing rows with oversea in column E and hiding the rest.

i've tried searching for it and cant seem to find one that works. any help is much muchhh appreciated. thanks in advance Smile
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Go to the top Cell and Select Auto filter from the Data menu. Why should you automate this with a macro?

Martin
darren238
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to save the user effort to select filter and then tying in the same criterita every day. most of the users for the program are not exactly IT trained as well.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you create the filter once, you could protect the first row. This way the users always have the filter available, only thing they need to do is select oversea from the menu.
That said why do they need to have all the other in formation if their only requirements is a subset of the data?

Martin
darren238
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i understand what u mean and if i could have done it that way i would have.
but i have got to follow to the requirements and may it seems stupid it's what must be done. i would appreciate the help.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that there are thousands of such "requirements" stated on this forum alone. In fact you can find dozends of sheet filter macros on this forum alone.
Only a small majority of requesters is able to code more than recorded or copied code and we are no human macro recorders nor human google robots.
If you do not want to actually use this software, install Excel, add your own tweaks and stick with that program forever since nothing else will ever meet your "requirements".

This software is more configurable than programmable.
Select your list.
Data>Define... give a name to your list.
Apply any type of filter.
Edit your data, insert rows, delete rows.
Data>Refresh (or some shortcut to that command) restores the previously applied filter and sort settings.

My contingent of free macros for anyone is exhausted. So far I did not get any feedback for the code I wrote this week.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
it seems stupid it's what must be done
Support doesn't mean to code whatever the user wants, it's about giving them what they need to do their job most efficiently.

Martin
martin84

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me his request is quite a basic one, How to macro a custom filter. I cannot understand why this is such a big problem. Even coding in Open Office requires the user to know the exact code to do what they want. As this information is not available within the Help function or online I don't see why it can't be supplied here.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
Even coding in Open Office requires the user to know the exact code to do what they want. As this information is not available within the Help function or online I don't see why it can't be supplied here.
Because the existing filter solution is flexible and covers a multitude of variations. The request to have it in a macro is static for one specific requirement.
But if you're happy to create a macro, please feel free.

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: