OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

mail merge with email program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obernau

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: mail merge with email program Reply with quote

Hi,
Since a while I'm looking for a way to send mails with a personalized mail (salutation ...) from OO. The only way I could figure out is to use Outlook, but there is no way to modify salutation etc. according to the record in the distribution list.
My favorite mode would be to store the distribution list in a database or spreadsheet, to add their specific data (depending on the contact) to merge these data with the template and to send it ....
I feel, there is no way for now, perhaps somebody could tell me, which service provider would support me in doing this, still by using HTML files as email and using my email address / domain as a sender.
Thanks for your input!
Alexander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: mail merge with email program Reply with quote

obernau wrote:
Hi,
Since a while I'm looking for a way to send mails with a personalized mail (salutation ...) from OO. The only way I could figure out is to use Outlook, but there is no way to modify salutation etc. according to the record in the distribution list.
My favorite mode would be to store the distribution list in a database or spreadsheet, to add their specific data (depending on the contact) to merge these data with the template and to send it ....
I feel, there is no way for now, perhaps somebody could tell me, which service provider would support me in doing this, still by using HTML files as email and using my email address / domain as a sender.
Thanks for your input!
Alexander

Go here: www.infacta.com for a free, very useful bulk emailer which allows fields (like a salutation), and excellent organising of mailing lists. It's not spammer stuff, just great software. There is the "pro" version, but the free version is all you'll need. I don't know about formatting in the main leter, but attachments could take care of that.

David.
elhummus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

email merge can work in OOo now if you follow the instructions in this doc -

http://internet.cybermesa.com/~aaron_w/OOo_email_merge/OOo_email_merge.html

haven't tried the infacta but it seems worth a try.

a while ago in desperation i wrote some perl to do my email merge -

using MIME::Lite and Net::SMTP_Auth

took me about ten hours as I'm no pro with that type of stuff. but it has no GUI. have to use command line parameters or edit config files.

ugh.

maybe someday i'll GUI it and post an open source email merge program on sourceforge. until then this OOo email merge seems very promising - finally got it to work today, details in my link above, but my Perl still gives me better control.

cheers

aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: