OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Mailmerge from calc new/missing databases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LGLisle
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Mailmerge from calc new/missing databases Reply with quote

Two part problem/complaint:
First, to do a mailmerge from a calc spreadsheet, one needs to create an intermediary odb database. If you then edit the spreadsheet, you have to create a NEW database, with a new name. (You have no control over the creation of that odb. like name or location) You soon wind up with a long list of databases to "select" from, most of which are obsolete or even missing. The select list gives no identifying information beyond the auto-generated name, no date, no location, nada. How do I keep track of which one to use?

Second, there seems to be no way to modify that list. Further, I can't even find where it is held. I've searched C:\Users, C:\Program Files (x86), C:\Program Files, and The Registry, no luck. There are now a dozen obsolete/missing entries, and I can't delete them.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new database is necessary. All you have to do is edit the underlying spreadsheet. Make your changes save the spreadsheet and exit OOo completely. Then open your merge document and do File--->Print and say yes to the form letter prompt. On the next screen find your updated record to verify the changes.
Tools--->options--->Base--->Databases allows you to delete and add registered databases. This will also tell you where the db is located.

I recommend this excellent article on mail merge http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/mail_merge_openoffice_org
LGLisle
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply!

As for the second part, it does work. It's rather obscure, but it does work.

For the first part, are you saying that once the odb is set up, I can change the spreadsheet, and the changes will reflect in the database automatically? I'm sure that I tried this before without luck. I guess that previous tries did not include the shutdown/restart step. If so, again we are looking at a failure in the documentation.

I'll check out your link as soon as I have a minute. That may cover a lot of my confusion.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have to edit the underlying spreadsheet then exit OOo. Open the database and you will be able to see your changes. I save my spreadsheet in .dbf format which makes it easy to edit when the database is open. The article I linked to explains how to do it this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: