OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Trouble with AUTO_INCREMENT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLLittle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Trouble with AUTO_INCREMENT Reply with quote

I keep getting an error message when either trying to create or alter a table to include an auto field:
SQL Status: 37000
Error code: -11

Unexpected token: AUTO_INCREMENT

I have searched the forums and tried a number of suggestions, but keep getting this. What's up with it?
probe1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with AUTO_INCREMENT Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

BLLittle wrote:
What's up with it?

If you DID search forum or internet you'd find out, that the SQL syntax depends on the database engine you are using.

Assuming you use the built-in HSQLDB it is

Code:
alter table "tablename" alter column "columnname"  identity

DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
BLLittle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your welcome and guidance. Yes, I DID search the forum -- for some 3 hours. I am NOT a computer neophyte nor a SQL beginner and what you've pointed out was NOT clear in any of the posts I reviewed, nor for that matter in the instructions/documentation included in the download for install.

Because of the lack of clarity in the documentation, I just don't get the arrogance and condescension that seems to be part of the culture of these forums. I'm not trying to single you out, but questioning something that is explicitly stated (
Quote:
If you DID search forum or internet
) is not setting a particularly welcoming tone. I write SQL to access data in Oracle and Teradata databases for a living, using SAS for analysis. All these tools demand an attention to the kind of detail you brought to my attention that was NOT clearly stated in any of the posts I reviewed prior to my posting.

The tools in the suite seem to be powerfully featured -- but they are not ready for prime time when the documentation and the supporting user community acts as though variations in implementation are clear and self-evident.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If your NOT a computer neophyte nor a SQL beginner you could have explained under what circumstance the error occurred, what database your using, which version of OpenOffice or LibreOffice you used, the OS you running on etc.

Martin
BLLittle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for so brilliantly illustrating my point: Operating system is totally irrelevant to a question about the syntax of a SQL statement.

As to your other requests, sure, I could have included those. After two hours of searching the forums and finding conflicting information, none of which worked, I was remiss from frustration. For that I apologize.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: