OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Block users from open OpenDocument Files with MS Office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmeng
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Block users from open OpenDocument Files with MS Office Reply with quote

Hi!

MS Office always destroys my OpenDocument templates and forms. It is a complete mess and a lot of work to rebuild them.
I am using LibreOffice all the time but a lot of my colleagues tend to use MS Office (although they know they are supposed to use OOo or LO).

Is there a way - potentially via a macro or similar - that I can block users from opening OpenDocument templates and forms with MS Office?

Thanks in advance!

Phil
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could make them read only to users other than yourself (probably a good idea with shared templates anyway). That way no users (MSO or LO or OOo) can mess with your templates.
pmeng
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

They are already read only.
I think i described it a bit confusing.
The problem is, that people take my template, open them wird MS Office, make their own forms then and save them as .doc. And then they distribute this....

That's why I want to make sure nobody with MS Office can edit these documents.

(It seems very unprofessional to the public, when the templates look different - because some used OOo and some MSO)

Thanks!
Phil
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your templates work, in Word, if saved as odt rather than doc. If so forcing Word to use odt as the default document format might work. This may be possible to force via group policy (never tried so don't know).
Not sure you can stop Word opening/using the templates though.
pmeng
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, they don't work in MS Office correctly.
Password-protected areas from OpenOffice can be edited in Word, Images are being moved,...
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like it is a poor odt to doc conversion by word or poor interpretation of odt by Microsoft rather than a policy setting issue.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd723552.aspx

I suppose you could try and set default program types for your templates to writer rather than word using GP
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/09f1b231-ad5e-40f5-a3a9-a98b2c508344/
But then again I guess the users would just open word and open the templates from there or do an Open With to get round it.

How did the users get Word in the first place? If by GP then you could probably remove it by GP but I don't think you can do this if the software was installed outside of group policy.

How about beating the users with a big stick? No, perhaps not.... not very PC!
pmeng
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group policies would be nice.
But our organization is a non-profit organization and everybody is working on his/her private laptop.
So I can't set any group policies...
Quote:

How about beating the users with a big stick? No, perhaps not.... not very PC!

Well, I tried softer variants. Kind of psychological beating. But I had no luck.

In my eyes I will need create a macro that gets executed on startup and if it detects MS Office, it will ask the user 10 times if he or she is stupid, doesn't want to listen, wants to harm the organisation,... bla bla bla.

But is there even a way to detect what software the document is opened with?

Thanks!!
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about detecting the software used to open a document - a specific question in the macro forum might get someone who knows better though. Strikes me though that the problem would be a macro, in OOo basic, might well not run if opened in Word. Maybe you could exploit this and write a Word macro that runs (assuming it is signed and the user has not turned macros off) that pops up a "you twit" warning (or something slightly more appropriate). Picking something incompatible with OOo Basic might then work in Word but not in Writer. Too easy for users to switch off though.
How about a background image on the first page - effectively a watermark that warns users about using Word in very big letters. If you then set the print properties to not print background images you are all set. Assumes you only have one type of printer available though as the print properties (saved in the template/doc) are specific to a printer (I think).
Alternatively - and probably better, but only thought of it after writing the above!
Put a frame on the first page, set to the background with wrap through (both on the wrap tab) and with Print unticked on the options tab. You can have all your normal text etc on the page, over the top of an annoying message but it won't print out.
pmeng
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterroots:
Thanks for your reply!
I like your ideas, and I have an idea.

I will try to make a watermark, that only disappears when user open it with OpenOffice and execute the appropriate macro.
On saving the document, the watermark reappears.

I'll give it a try...
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: