OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem with figures/pictures anchoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merlante
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Problem with figures/pictures anchoring Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am working on a document, which started out as an OOo template but may have may a) editing in MS Word at some point and/or b) been saved to a .doc at some point, but is now being edited by OOo as an .odt, and I hope to keep it that way. I am running Mac OS X 6.8 and have just upgraded to OOo 3.3.0 (but the problems were there before). I've been having problems with anchoring figures (inserted pngs) recently, and it has gotten particularly bad just now, with figures constantly overlapping each other and generally misbehaving.

I have set all of my figures to be anchored to paragraph and no wrap (although when I right click on one or two figures' outer frames, these are not ticked for some reason) and each figure has a paragraph all to itself. The problem seems to be that if an image is pushed to the next page, it sometimes overlaps the text or another figure on the next page, rather than pushing down the text or figure. The anchors are all sitting in the right places -- on their own paragraph -- but the image is on the next page overlapping content.

Even more worryingly, I can actually get the figures to go where they should be by "messing around" with their formatting, or other formatting on the page, and then hitting undo! So I can force a reformatting of the pages around the image, such that the image may (or may not) be in the right place afterwards, without actually changing any content on the page. In fact, if I save, make some change, hit undo -- which magically triggers the figure to appear in the right place -- I cannot actually save this change, because as far as OOo is concerned, no change has been made since the last save. I have to change something superficial and then save.

Even if I manage to get all figures back where they should be, the situation is just as volatile, and the figures can just as easily go back to overlapping text and figures on the next page after other changes.

Does anybody have any idea about what could be happening here and how I could get around it?

I've used OOo on large documents before and have never had these problems, which is why I half suspect there may be MS Word/compatibility formatting in there that is breaking things, but that's just a guess.

EDIT: Just to add to that, when the figure does overlap the text, I can no longer get to it by clicking directly on the text, I have to use the arrow keys to move the cursor there. I'm starting to think that there is something broken with my setup. I have just installed a new version of OOo but maybe I need to be killing some metadata somewhere...
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The lesson to be learned is "If you create it in OpenOffice, Maintain it in OpenOffice".
Switching between OpenOffice and MS word is asking for troubles you always get conversion problems which you only spot too late.
If someone need to add information in MS Word let them do so, but ask them to record changes.
When you receive the MS Word document Open it and Copy & Paste the changes in your .odt document.

Martin
merlante
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgroenescheij wrote:
Hi,

The lesson to be learned is "If you create it in OpenOffice, Maintain it in OpenOffice".
Switching between OpenOffice and MS word is asking for troubles you always get conversion problems which you only spot too late.
If someone need to add information in MS Word let them do so, but ask them to record changes.
When you receive the MS Word document Open it and Copy & Paste the changes in your .odt document.

Martin

Well... in an ideal world... yes. That horse has already bolted, unfortunately.

What I actually did, which was reminiscent of the old Word 6.0 days, was to copy and paste the whole document (copy all, paste) into a new document. There were still problems with the figures, but those problems were all fixable, by changing anchoring, alignment, etc. in the normal way.

Some things I had to restore:
- Headers.
- Outline numbering.

Hope this helps somebody else.

mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: