OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Persistent 'failure to respond' error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardelmley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Persistent 'failure to respond' error Reply with quote

Can anyone help me please. I have been experiencing a persitent problem with open office. It doesn't matter what type of document I am working on (I use Text (word) Spreadsheet and Presentations. A few seconds after opening a document - new or old - a pop-up message about updates to extensions appears. If I click on this the program crasshes claiming it can't resoive an address somewhere. If I ignore it it usually either crashes or goes into not responding mode. In the few seconds before this happens I can do things (like print or write a few characters and save). Just occasionaly the crash/failure to respond doesn't happen and i can work normally. When that happens (about 5% of the time) I can then open other documents without any problem. It also seems that the problem does not occur if I am not connected to the internet. Since about April I must have sent almost a thousand 'reports' from these failures to Oracle and have allowed - even begged - them to contact me via email but they have never done so. I have also tried reinstalling from a new download but the problem recurred after a few days. I am running openoffice 3.3 under windows 7 professional on a 64 bit machine. This problem seems to be unique to my computer - my wife does not experience it on her 32 bit windows 7 machine. Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong and how it can be fixed. Iam getting fed up with having to re-open documents 20 or more times before I can do any work.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Because OpenOffice is in a transition status from Oracle to Apache it is unlikely that there are any updates before second quarter of 2012.
You could see if deselecting the automatic check for updates will solve your issue.

Martin
stewpot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Hi I have the same problem Reply with quote

Hi Newby here ;lol;

I am using a 64bit Win 7 PC ASUS MB AMD Phenom 965 4cpu

I get the same problem with Not responding on any type of document.

Could you tell me if there is a better version of OO I am on 3.3 I don't remember it being this bad before.

I see you advising to switch off auto updates Why would that have any impact on normal editing work?

Is there anything else I can try?

Stewart
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see you advising to switch off auto updates Why would that have any impact on normal editing work?

Disabling the Auto Updater checking. will help prevent the application from hanging and/or crashing. The update website is not functioning at the moment and no one knows when it will work.

Quote:
Is there anything else I can try?

Uninstall IE9 if present.
Also try temporarily disabling your AV and/or firewall software.
stewpot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I have used the un-installer recommended,
I have downloaded the latest version.
It just seems to be faster I will use it for a while and post a reply if I have any more trouble.

I hope that has fixed it.

Thank you for your time and efforts it is appreciated.

Stewart Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: