OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Keyboard shortcut for copying cell above?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carogray04
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Keyboard shortcut for copying cell above? Reply with quote

For years I have been trying to figure out how simply to copy the cell above with a keyboard shortcut in OpenOffice Calc, the way Excel uses Ctrl + '.

I don't want to use series autofill or the mouse!

My boss even wrote a macro for me that worked on one machine for one application of OpenOffice, but I could never get it to work on my machine at home or anywhere else. It seems silly, but being unable to use the keyboard to accomplish this little task, keeps putting me off using this program to which I am morally, ethically and spiritually committed!

Can anyone explain to me in VERY simple terms how to use or create a macro, install it and use it for a keyboard shortcut to copy the cell above whilst in Calc?

I am using version 1.1.2

Thanks ahead of time.
davidh182
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Tools ->Macros -> macro...
In soffice -> standard -> Module1 there should be a macro called "Main"
Select and Edit this macro.

The Module1 page is brought up which includes the empty macro "Main". This page looks like a text editor.
If you only have a few macros this is the best place to keep them.

A macro is a sequence of commands beginning "Sub XYZ" and ending "End Sub"

Copy your macro to this page under the macro "Main". You can transport it as a text file.
This module will be saved when you shut down.

The macro can be assigned to a shortcut key (eg Ctrl ') using Tools->Configure.

Simple Macros look complicated in OO (compared to Excel) because the current page has to be addressed in full. Beyond that OO and Excel are pretty much equivalent (but not interchangeable). If the macro you were given doesn't work, post it here and it will get fixed quickly.
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the focus in the lower cell
Use the Record Macro Button or do Alt>T>R
Once the Macro recorder is running use your keys to go up one cell and ^C to copy then go down one cell and use ^V paste.

The close the Macro Recorder. Then assign that Macro to any available key combination.

If you haven't used the Macro Recorder before it takes a little experimentation to find where everything goes. But If I can do it you can Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: