OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Where should the page be viewed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where should the page be viewed?
Centered; in the middle of the window
26%
 26%  [ 8 ]
To the left, just as it is now
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
User should be able to position page according to his/her preferences
60%
 60%  [ 18 ]
To the right
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
it doesn't matter to me, no opinion
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 30

Author Message
wilkat1
Power User
Power User


Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Posts: 92
Location: southern Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Where should the page be viewed? Reply with quote

This seems to be a hot topic around here. Let's vote.

Last edited by wilkat1 on Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
wilkat1
Power User
Power User


Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Posts: 92
Location: southern Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say the user should have control over it. This would accomodate more users' preferences, and give OOo one more feature the others don't have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
memyselfi
General User
General User


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: huh? Reply with quote

what do you mean by "where should the page be viewed?"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DannyB
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 Apr 2003
Posts: 3991
Location: Lawrence, Kansas, USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the question?

I can infer that it probably is related to Writer, being in the Writer forum.

Maybe it is one of those things that "if you don't understand the question, then don't vote". So I abstain from voting.
_________________
Want to make OOo Drawings like the colored flower design to the left?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wilkat1
Power User
Power User


Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Posts: 92
Location: southern Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I wasn't more clear. There have been numerous comments/complaints on this board that when one opens Writer, the visible "page" is not centered in the window but rather hangs to the left. Some claim that centering the page in the window is the most logical, comfortable, or common position for a word processor while others have strongly defended the choice of the OOo programmers to have the page aligned to the left side of the screen. Since feelings about this seem strong on both sides, I thought it would be a good idea to run a poll to see how most folks here feel about the issue. I don't know thing one about writing or reading code so I can't really contribute to OOo in that way. But if there are strong feelings out here about how to make OOo better, we can certainly communicate those.

Anyway, there 'tis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
maxqnz
Super User
Super User


Joined: 24 Mar 2003
Posts: 1290
Location: Te Ika a Maui, Aotearoa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkat1 wrote:
I say the user should have control over it. This would accomodate more users' preferences, and give OOo one more feature the others don't have.


Amen. The current positioning does not bother me at all, and I am unable to grasp the vehemence with which many object to it, but I definitely agree that if it is to be changed, it should be changed to allow it as a user-configurable option. Interesting most of those who express such intense revulsion for the current situation do not say that it should be made optional. Rather, they want to impose their preference on all users.
_________________
Noho ora mai, ka kite ano.
What Is A Pieriansipist?

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate


Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 390
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkat1 wrote:
Sorry I wasn't more clear. There have been numerous comments/complaints on this board that when one opens Writer, the visible "page" is not centered in the window but rather hangs to the left. Some claim that centering the page in the window is the most logical, comfortable, or common position for a word processor while others have strongly defended the choice of the OOo programmers to have the page aligned to the left side of the screen. Since feelings about this seem strong on both sides, I thought it would be a good idea to run a poll to see how most folks here feel about the issue. I don't know thing one about writing or reading code so I can't really contribute to OOo in that way. But if there are strong feelings out here about how to make OOo better, we can certainly communicate those.

Anyway, there 'tis.


I don't consider this to be a burning issue really - in fact you mean really that the page is slightly to the right with the centre of the screen having what is slightly to the left of centre of the page and a small bit beyond the page showing at the left and top. This only applies when the text is set to appear from left to right - if it is set from right to left then the gap is actually on the right. I imagine that this is this way because people tend to focus towards the centre of the screen and having the page to the right for left to right text and to the left for right to left text then shifts the initial cursor position relative to the screen towards the centre. However to have adjustable settings for this so long as it didn't interfere with something of greater importance in the application seems reasonable to me - that could be done with a macro.


Last edited by Michael A. Kearsley on Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wilkat1
Power User
Power User


Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Posts: 92
Location: southern Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I see where you're coming from. This isn't exactly a burning issue for me either, but apparently it is for some potential users of the program. What I really wanted was a way to gauge just how important it is for these folks overall. I have stated before that I work in "page width" so I never noticed that the page was off-center. Resolving this issue will actually have little-to-no effect on my personal use of OOo. However, since it seems to be a make-or-break issue for some, I thought it would be helpful for us to have a poll just to see what the consensus is among us.

My thought is that the poll would give us a frame of reference regarding how strongly the community as a whole feels about the issue. Racking up a number of votes for the filed issue is one thing, but here folks can express that they don't care or that they would rather have control over page position themselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
wilkat1
Power User
Power User


Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Posts: 92
Location: southern Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having it done with a macro would be cool!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate


Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 390
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkat1 wrote:
Okay, I see where you're coming from. This isn't exactly a burning issue for me either, but apparently it is for some potential users of the program. What I really wanted was a way to gauge just how important it is for these folks overall. I have stated before that I work in "page width" so I never noticed that the page was off-center. Resolving this issue will actually have little-to-no effect on my personal use of OOo. However, since it seems to be a make-or-break issue for some, I thought it would be helpful for us to have a poll just to see what the consensus is among us.

My thought is that the poll would give us a frame of reference regarding how strongly the community as a whole feels about the issue. Racking up a number of votes for the filed issue is one thing, but here folks can express that they don't care or that they would rather have control over page position themselves.


If the view of the page was going to be centred automatically on startup then surely that would mean that the cursor would be liable to actually be appearing off screen so unless the page was going to appear so as that the whole page width would appear then it would rather be that the edge of the paper at the side that the text began from was at the very edge of the screen or at least the point where the text would start appearing so if anything it still is unlikely to be actually centred depending on the paper size, zoom and distance of the text from the edge of the paper used.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntonioFabio82
Power User
Power User


Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Posts: 83
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael A. Kearsley wrote:
wilkat1 wrote:
Okay, I see where you're coming from. This isn't exactly a burning issue for me either, but apparently it is for some potential users of the program. What I really wanted was a way to gauge just how important it is for these folks overall. I have stated before that I work in "page width" so I never noticed that the page was off-center. Resolving this issue will actually have little-to-no effect on my personal use of OOo. However, since it seems to be a make-or-break issue for some, I thought it would be helpful for us to have a poll just to see what the consensus is among us.

My thought is that the poll would give us a frame of reference regarding how strongly the community as a whole feels about the issue. Racking up a number of votes for the filed issue is one thing, but here folks can express that they don't care or that they would rather have control over page position themselves.


If the view of the page was going to be centred automatically on startup then surely that would mean that the cursor would be liable to actually be appearing off screen so unless the page was going to appear so as that the whole page width would appear then it would rather be that the edge of the paper at the side that the text began from was at the very edge of the screen or at least the point where the text would start appearing so if anything it still is unlikely to be actually centred depending on the paper size, zoom and distance of the text from the edge of the paper used.


I think the cursor is always on the screen. The "centering" issue starts when you have something like "full page" as zoom level.
_________________
Antonio, Fabio.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wilkat1
Power User
Power User


Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Posts: 92
Location: southern Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're obviously having way too much fun with this discussion. I think that what most of the complainants mean is that when the zoom is set at or below page width the page should look centered on the screen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kaaredyret
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Posts: 1356
Location: Denmark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxqnz wrote:
Interesting most of those who express such intense revulsion for the current situation do not say that it should be made optional. Rather, they want to impose their preference on all users.


(Speaking on behalf of only myself) Not really, an option would be perfect. This poll does not not support saying that 'most users want to impose their preference on all users' - 3 is more than 10? Wink
_________________
www.kaaredyret.dk - OpenOffice resources (templates, extensions, tutorials and more) !
Stay updated on software and OpenOffice.org news via Twitter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
maxqnz
Super User
Super User


Joined: 24 Mar 2003
Posts: 1290
Location: Te Ika a Maui, Aotearoa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaaredyret wrote:
maxqnz wrote:
Interesting most of those who express such intense revulsion for the current situation do not say that it should be made optional. Rather, they want to impose their preference on all users.


(Speaking on behalf of only myself) Not really, an option would be perfect. This poll does not not support saying that 'most users want to impose their preference on all users' - 3 is more than 10? Wink


I'm not talking about this poll or this thread. If you read the (many) threads in which people rant and carp and bleat endlessly about how this issue is the most critical flaw in OOo, most (but not all) of these vociferous critics, do not even propose making it otional. Instead, they commonly say, "it MUST be centered", or "centered is the ONLY LOGICAL option", or words to that effect. I've already voted for the "make it optional" choice. It really doesn't bother me at all, but the rabid vehemence with which some people rant on about it is a little amusing, and a little wearisome.
_________________
Noho ora mai, ka kite ano.
What Is A Pieriansipist?

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AntonioFabio82
Power User
Power User


Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Posts: 83
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxqnz wrote:
If you read the (many) threads in which people rant and carp and bleat endlessly about how this issue is the most critical flaw in OOo, most (but not all) of these vociferous critics, do not even propose making it otional. Instead, they commonly say, "it MUST be centered", or "centered is the ONLY LOGICAL option", or words to that effect. I've already voted for the "make it optional" choice. It really doesn't bother me at all, but the rabid vehemence with which some people rant on about it is a little amusing, and a little wearisome.


But if you read, you also have people that say: "left is the MOST LOGICAL option" (I think mostly for the sake of contraddition Laughing ). Simply, people prefering centering are more nomerous, so you can mostly see "centered is the ONLY LOGICAL option", as you stated out.
All-at-all, if you make them in front of that possibility, I think no one would disagree the "make it optional" choice (I hope!).

P.S. I'm also for the "make it optional". I don't think we have a most "logical" position at all.
P.P.S. Hoping that "left" and "centering" peoples can live together pacefully in a near future Laughing
_________________
Antonio, Fabio.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group