OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Installing fonts in OO 1.1.3 under Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Billington
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Installing fonts in OO 1.1.3 under Linux Reply with quote

OK, finally got OO 1.1.3 to install (whew!) Installer wouldn't upgrade my previous 1.1.0 install, so I installed 1.1.3 in another directory. Both of them work.

Now, the tarball for 1.1.3 came with a limited number of fonts. My previous install of 1.1.0 has more fonts. I want to make them available to 1.1.3.

Help system for 1.1.3 says to go to the program directory, which on my machine is at: /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.3 and run spadmin, which I did. That opens a console, and an x-window. In the x-window, I am to select the "fonts" button, and navigate to the location of the fonts I want to add.

I did a bit of poking around on my system first, and found a lot of fonts in the /usr/share/fonts directory (or, more accurately, in the sub-directories under it). So, I began to navigate there. However, when I arrive, and though file manager shows a lot of fonts installed in the sub-directores under it, NOTHING SHOWS in the spadmin window. It remains blank, which means, of course, that there are no fonts in the spadmin list window for me to add.

I assume that spadmin must be looking for a particular kind of font, and that the ones in the /usr/share/fonts directory (and the directories under it) are not that type.

So, where do I go from here? What type of file is spadmin looking for, and where will I find them?

I did not change my original OO 1.1.0 installation at all. Everything is still there -- untouched.

Thanks.

Frank.
nhall
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To install additional fonts in OO 1.1.x, open Spadmin. In the Spadmin window, click on the Fonts button at the bottom of the window. A different window will open. In this new window click on the Add button which will open a third window. In this third window you can navigate to any Linux directory. Tru-type Font files have the suffix *.tty. i suggest you do a Google search with the argument 'Linux Fonts' which will give you additional information. I hope this gets you started.
Norm.
Frank Billington
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nhall:

I had already done as you suggested. I assumed that the fonts would show up in the browse window in the directory I was selecting. They don't, and that is what I found confusing. In the browse window, all I am selecting is the directory to look in. I navigated to the previously found directory, and it was still blank. This time, however I chose to select that directory in the browse window anyway. The browse window closed, but NOW all the fonts in that selected directory appeared in the "add fonts" window. I selected them all, then added them all. OO 1.1.3 now has the full complement of fonts that 1.1.0 had.

Thanks.

Frank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: