OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Using ODBC and "Grouping"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xeerex
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Using ODBC and "Grouping" Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm starting progress on a print version of telephone directory for a client (www.lindaledirectory.com). I'm using Writer to produce the layout as I'm trying to wean off MS and Adobe products. I have all the data in an Access database and have connected to it via ODBC with no problem. The tables are non-relational but they are normalized. Each business belongs to one or more categories. The business details are stored in tblBusiness while the categories are stored in tblCategory. There is a third table tblCategoryXfer which has a record for each business belonging to a category using teh ID of the business and the ID of the category.

What I want to do is use a text frame and popluate it with the data which is easy enough. The problem is that I want the data to display in a grouped format by category.

Now I can "cheat" this in Access by builiding a report with grouping and exporting it out as a Word document. Then I can copy/paste into the text frame (using frame linking for overflow). However, there should be a better way to do this since I will have to reformat text, etc, each time I need to do this.

Any ideas?

Here's a screen shot of basically how I want it to look:

PC / Software Help || Software Training || Free PC Newsletter!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xeerex
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just paid a little more attention to the forums. Could one of the mods move this post to the correct one? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xeerex
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for anyone that may need to do something similar...

So far, I've found that trying to do the grouping that I want via Autopilot and reports is turning into a PITA, and I don't have the time to overcome the learning curve right now. Instead, I've found that the easiest was is similar to my method mentioned above.

In Access, create a report for the table.

Then use the Tools...Office Links...Publish it with Word which will create a .rtf file of the report. Nicely, it creates the spacing as tab stops.

Then you can use OOorg Writer to open the .rtf which will again keep the tab stops.

If you want specific instructions or even a "how to" video please contact me at xeerex (at) gmail (dot) com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: