OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

pdf export problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txmule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: pdf export problem Reply with quote

I am a senior and a beginning computer user. I have created a document which is currently listed as ODF text document. My understanding is that to export this document as a PDF, I must first save as a PDF. I clicked on the pull down menu, which currently reads ODF, but I do not have the PDF option among the choices.
I do have Adobe reader installed, so I'm not sure where to go at this point. Thanks
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. It's even easier than you think - there's special Export menu item in the File menu. File - Export as PDF. You are guided through a settings dialog box, if I remember correctly you can use the default settings there.

If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
txmule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first completed the document, I attached it to an email and sent it to a friend who was able to open it as a Word document. I sent the same document to another person who was unable to open at all.
I have created three documents total. When I click on the PDF icon in the tool bar the three documents are there each sporting the Adobe PDF icon. Problem is that I cannot figure out how to attach to an email. It's not allowed.
When I click on Documents on the Open Office start page, the three documents are there but are not listed as PDF. Further investigation shows all three as ODF text documents.
I have already been through the "File-Export as PDF" wringer more times than I can count.
Even went through 2 tutorials online. So I'm just about ready to give up.
Sorry, problem NOT solved. Most likely this is an operator problem because I don't have the knowledge to figure it out.
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What doesn't allow to attach a file to an e-mail? When do you get that message? What e-mail program do you use?
Honestly, if you're so new to computers, it may well be better if you ask an acquaintance to help you - there's nothing like a patient person sitting next to you who sees what you're doing and can put you right.
txmule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think if I had that option that I would be here at all.
Thanks for your time
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't answering my question. You should be able to attach almost any kind of file to an e-mail message. The limit is normally the restrictions on your mail account, for instance if your mailbox has a capacity of 20 MB, you can't receive mails with attachments over 20 MB.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your file open:
File-->Send. You then have four choices of formats you can send the document in.
peterthomas
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or else forget about everything, you have only three or so files, so its simple, just go for any other third party software like adobe etc, that can do your task very easily and you would not only be able to convert the file but would also be able to send them wherever you want!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: