OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

using zoom in/out on function toolbar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kengloong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: using zoom in/out on function toolbar Reply with quote

hi,

i have added the zoom icons to my function toolbar. I can see the icons on my toolbar after I clicked "apply" and "ok" but once I exit from the toolbar selection menu, the icons are included in the toolbar but they didn't work. the icons also looked different and i am not sure how to describe them. right after i clicked "apply" and "ok" they looked like other icons but once i exit from the selection menu, they looked "deactivated"...light grey color.

does anyone know what's the problem?

thanks,
kl
AntonioFabio82
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: using zoom in/out on function toolbar Reply with quote

kengloong wrote:
hi,

i have added the zoom icons to my function toolbar. I can see the icons on my toolbar after I clicked "apply" and "ok" but once I exit from the toolbar selection menu, the icons are included in the toolbar but they didn't work. the icons also looked different and i am not sure how to describe them. right after i clicked "apply" and "ok" they looked like other icons but once i exit from the selection menu, they looked "deactivated"...light grey color.

does anyone know what's the problem?

thanks,
kl

The problem is that the zoom icons you added (+ and -, isn't it?) make sense only in the print preview.

I think this is an inconsistency problem in OOo... If you see, you also have 2 zoom buttons, with the same name and icon (the simple len without sign). One is for the print preview, one is for the editing view!
I don't know if we also have a "+ and -" zoom button for the editing view. Someone could help?
tcblack
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: using zoom in/out on function toolbar Reply with quote

AntonioFabio82 wrote:

I don't know if we also have a "+ and -" zoom button for the editing view. Someone could help?

We don't but we desperately need dynamic zoom buttons in the editing view. Baring that we need quick jump buttons for predefined zooms as in full page, optimal width, etc...
AntonioFabio82
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: using zoom in/out on function toolbar Reply with quote

tcblack wrote:
AntonioFabio82 wrote:

We don't but we desperately need dynamic zoom buttons in the editing view. Baring that we need quick jump buttons for predefined zooms as in full page, optimal width, etc...

Yes.
Writer is incredibly poor in such simple things.
I can't ever have easily a good global look of the document. Something like a scroll-down menu, as we have in acrobat reader and Word, would be great...
Also, in the print preview, developers have missed the simple lens instrument. I mean: when u click on the document, the zoom happens, but CENTERING on the click! This is just a minor issue, but have to be added to the list...
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you a wheel mouse? Press Ctrl and move the wheel... I don't know about any easyest zoom than this one Very Happy
tcblack
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Nope - no wheel on my laptop Reply with quote

RGB wrote:
Have you a wheel mouse? Press Ctrl and move the wheel... I don't know about any easyest zoom than this one Very Happy

Nope - no wheel on my laptop, sure I can plug in a wheel mouse but I bought a laptop so I wouldn't have to carry extra stuff.
I would guess that including simple preset zoom buttons would be the easiest cure.
kengloong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks all for your comments...i guess i won't be using OO as much... Sad
AntonioFabio82
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Nope - no wheel on my laptop Reply with quote

tcblack wrote:
RGB wrote:

Nope - no wheel on my laptop, sure I can plug in a wheel mouse but I bought a laptop so I wouldn't have to carry extra stuff.
I would guess that including simple preset zoom buttons would be the easiest cure.

Maybe we can store macros for ours zooms (also without programming), then assign them to new buttons to add to the bar. And/or assigning them to shortcut keys.
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: using zoom in/out on function toolbar Reply with quote

tcblack wrote:
we desperately need dynamic zoom buttons in the editing view. Baring that we need quick jump buttons for predefined zooms as in full page, optimal width, etc...

• Check if your status bar is enabled: View > Status Bar should have a tick next to it, the status bar is at the bottom of the window.
  • Near the centre of your status bar (depending on screen resolution) a percentage is displayed which shows the current zoom
  • Right-click on the percentage figure and you can quick jump to predefined zoom percentages.

I think Ian "The Liquidator" originally showed me this. HTH Smile,
AntonioFabio82
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: using zoom in/out on function toolbar Reply with quote

8daysaweek.co.uk wrote:
tcblack wrote:
we desperately need dynamic zoom buttons in the editing view. Baring that we need quick jump buttons for predefined zooms as in full page, optimal width, etc...

• Check if your status bar is enabled: View > Status Bar should have a tick next to it, the status bar is at the bottom of the window.
  • Near the centre of your status bar (depending on screen resolution) a percentage is displayed which shows the current zoom
  • Right-click on the percentage figure and you can quick jump to predefined zoom percentages.

I think Ian "The Liquidator" originally showed me this. HTH Smile,

That's right! And this is also right for the page style! Great tip, tnx Smile
tcblack
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: using zoom in/out on function toolbar Reply with quote

8daysaweek.co.uk wrote:

Ahhh, that's better.
I would still like some one click buttons but that's pretty close Wink
Case
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Zoom Button Reply with quote

Hi kengloong,

I understand that you are having trouble in getting the correct Zoom button feature on your toolbar. I added the Zoom button and it works fine. What should happen is that when you press the button, the Zoom box should appear. A list appears under Zoom Factor. Just click the appropriate size you want to use and click OK. That size should appear with no problem (hopefully).

Go back in to choose the Zoom button. It's third from the bottom (right above Zoom In). Add it to the Buttons In Use. Make sure its check box has a check in it, if neccessary.

There are four Zoom buttons:
-Zoom (the one I assume you want to view and work on your documents)
-Zoom In
-Zoom Out
-Preview Zoom

Before You Add The Button
First, just for trouble-shooting, when you added the buttons, did you go in to make sure that the boxe(s) by the feature(s) you wanted is clicked? Maybe for some reason you did, a malfunction could have happened and it didn't take. It won't activate itself until it is checked. Left unchecked, it will appear gray and unavailable for use.

I hope that these suggestions will help your problem.

Case Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: