OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Thumbnails of all pages of Office files, MS, OpenOffice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caoticud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Thumbnails of all pages of Office files, MS, OpenOffice Reply with quote

For my current project I would require to create thumbnails from Office documents. This application is web based and Office version agnostic. Also I need the suite to support OpenOffice (odt, odp, ods) and MS Office (ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx, doc, docx) files.

The issue is we must create thumbnails of each page in case of doc(odt) and ppt(odp) files and for each sheet of xls(ods) files. Not just extract the thumbnail created by OS or create a thumbnail for the first page.

I have found Windows shell api to extract a thumbnail (used for preview) and that too for only the first page of the document.

I have tried jodconverter to get the thumbnail and could save thumbnail for only the first page of the OpenOffice documents.

I have already PoC's in place which can convert any image files into thumbnails

* jpg
* png
* bmp
* tiff (single and multipage)
* pdf

I am sure that the same PoC can be used for any PS compatible file too.

From extensive searches on this topic I have found that

1. I can use jodconverter or OpenOffice SDK to convert the files in PDF and then create thumbnails from the PDF.
2. I can create a virtual Ghostscript printer to create PDF or PS file and then create thumbnails
3. Convert MS Office files into EMF files and then create thumbnails.
4. Use a print-screen type of application to grab the page.

1-3 contains one additional step to convert a document in an intermediate format and thus introduce a performance lag - which we don't like much so ideally should be our last choice. The fourth option is not acceptable in any web based, unmanaged application environment.

I am yet to try OOO2-Thumbnailer utility. But honestly it does not look too promising.

Almost searched whole of ooo forums, but yet to come up with a convincing answer.

It would be best if you can suggest a one-step method to accomplish this, no PDF conversion in between.
If OpenOffice api's, which create PDF, can be manipulated or extended so that we get an image format, JPEG is prefered but any will do.
If you have read till this, then thanks for your patience -Smile
Really would appreciate any help
wigge
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I want to get the thumbnails too. I have thumbnails of odt documents in windows explorer and checked up which program that is making them in the registry. And it's Microsoft Word! O.o
The recomended Export to PDF then PNG/JPG is just too slow and will not work for me so it sucks.
It seems like it's possible to redirect the rendering of a document to another device using XView or something so that is what i will try. The hard part is that it's not documented anywhere how to do that.
I searched for OOO2-Thumbnailer but that tool probably not works either.
It's 2012 now!...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: