OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Font troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vineyridge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Font troubles Reply with quote

When I open or download a Microsoft document in Open Office-either .xls or.doc from my yahoo mail or a forum that I visit often--, very strange things happen to the font--and it's not correctable though the font window. I have only one choice, D 13. If I download the document and open it in easyoffice, the font IS shown on the list but I can't remember the name. It's almost unreadable.

I might add that this is something new since about the first of January.

I've searched HELP and I cannot find a single place to set preferences over the entire suite. Where HELP talks about Default Font it doesn't give directions on where to go to set it. I've wasted enormous amounts of time looking for the preferences page or the defaults setting page or pages and cannot find them.

What do I need to be doing to have Times New Roman or Arial always come up, no matter what the web document asks for?

Last edited by vineyridge on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EasyOffice? You're in the wrong forum. This forum is about a very different suite.
vineyridge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. It's actually Open Office. I have Open Office 3.2. Just made a mistake with the name.
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the default font in Tools - Options - Writer - Basic fonts. (On a Mac you need Preferences). But - those settings are overridden by almost everything else that you do, so don't bother finding or setting them. To get a template with the settings that you want, check out [Tutorial] Creating a new default template.
However, downloaded documents or text copied from the Internet are a different story - OOo is especially bad at handling stuff copied from the Internet. You'll have to select all that and press Ctrl+M to apply default formatting.
vineyridge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens even if I don't want to download what I'm viewing. Since I've got OO set as the default application for spreadsheets and documents, the new font glitch is very upsetting.

I wonder if it has something to do with Firefox. I may try to open the .doc or xls files in Chrome or IE. Will report back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: