OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

RANT: OpenOffice Writer - Not Ready for Primetime....sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unueco
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: RANT: OpenOffice Writer - Not Ready for Primetime....sad Reply with quote

I fully admit that this is not so much a request for assistance as it is a rant of disappointment.

I previously posted requesting assistance with a problem whereby when I changed a font style in my document, then closed the document, upon re-opening the document reverted back to the original font.

I am now experiencing a problem of a similar nature....but more extensive.

I have created a document with table. Within the cells of the tables are bulleted lists.

I find I am unable to change the default size of the bullets.

I also find there are weird "oddities" with some of the formatting on the tables.

And, as before, when I make fixes and close the document, upon re-opening the "fixes" have reverted back to the original problem.

Perhaps most annoying and troubling is that the problem is not universal. That is to say, no ALL the bullets are the wrong size and not ALL the fonts revert back to their original style......just some.

Yes, I know, there are work-arounds.

But the point is that at this stage the project, that one needs to use "work-arounds" is highly disappointing.

Even more infuriating, the document I have been working on is a resume. And one potential empoyer has already criticzed my resume as looking "unprofessional" for my "lack of proofreading".....not realizing that the document looked perfect on my screen BEFORE I sent it to him.

I have been a full wholehearted supporter of OO...linux...and all things NOT Micro$oft.

So this has been a particularly disheartening experience.
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

unueco wrote:
I fully admit that this is not so much a request for assistance as it is a rant of disappointment.
I fully admit that this is not so much an answer as it is a rant of critic.
In your previous post you said that you had problems with font replacements.
Have you checked the font replacement settings in Tools --> Options ... OpenOffice.org ... Fonts
Further you said that you save the document in Word format. There is a big difference in .odt format and Word format and conversions are far from ideal.
Quote:
I find I am unable to change the default size of the bullets
Go to Format --> Bullets and Numbering and you have doze of options.
Quote:
And, as before, when I make fixes and close the document, upon re-opening the "fixes" have reverted back to the original problem
Save only in OpenOffice format.
Quote:
Even more infuriating, the document I have been working on is a resume. And one potential empoyer has already criticzed my resume as looking "unprofessional" for my "lack of proofreading".....not realizing that the document looked perfect on my screen BEFORE I sent it to him.
It's not only the proofreading where you failed.

Martin
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How often does it have to be repeated that the spell check can't fully replace careful proofreading? A spell check can only verify that a word does or does not appear in a dictionary - it doesn't and can't check if a word is the right word in the right place. You might write "to" instead of "too", and "it's" instead of "its", and the very popular "there" instead of "their", and your spell checker wouldn't notice it. That's supposed to be common knowledge.
unueco
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How often does it have to be repeated that the spell check can't fully replace careful proofreading?

Perhaps then those responding to my post should engage in a little "proofreading" before they post their responses.

To repeat.....more clearly.....

The problem is NOT that I do not know HOW to change bullet font sizes. The problem is that, once changed, they mysteriously revert back once the document is closed.

The problem is NOT spelling errors, etc. The problem is that the documents were developed by cutting and pasting from other source douments using a variety of fonts. .......which I corrected to one unified font....close the document....only to have them mysteriously the text revert back to their various original fonts once the document is opened again.

The same is true of column settings and indents.

Yes, there are (sometimes) work-arounds. But at this stage of development, I should not have to be wrestling with "work-around" simply to produce a straightforward document.

Furthermore, as I've scanned the 'net, I find to my suprise and dismay, I'm not alone in this urge to rant about the shortcomings of Oo.

In short: THE CODE IS BUGGY!!!

...and that is a big disappointment.
unueco
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Save only in OpenOffice format.

Unfortunately not all of the rest of the world can accept an *odt formatted documents -- specifically, my clients.

Its rather poor business practice to demand your client change his entire operating structure to suit the needs of one consultant. They are more likely to just go find a new consultant.

Oo proports to be fully Micro$oft compatible. Unfortunately, that has not proven to be the case, and this fact has bitten me in the a$$.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: