OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] Removing radio buttons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon_private
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: [Solved] Removing radio buttons Reply with quote

Someone sent me a spreadsheet recenty (xls).

I tried to remove the radio buttons, but could not delete them.

How can I remove radio buttons in cacl?

Thanks

Ps. As an aside. How are they introduced in calc?

Last edited by anon_private on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go View|Toolbars|Form Controls to bring up the Form Controls Toolbar.
Click on the button that toggles Design Mode.
This button looks like a setsquare, ruler and pencil. When the button is highlighted Design Mode is on.
When Design Mode is on you should be able to select the radio buttons then delete them using the Backspace key.
Turn Design Mode off when you have finished.

Radio buttons are added using this same toolbar and when Design Mode os on.

Ken Johnson
anon_private
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I was able to remove the radio buttons following your advice.

Out of interest. I tried to create a radio button, but without success. I clicked the design mode icon, a button was visible. On clicking it, nothing happened?

Best wishes.

A
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anon_private wrote:
Out of interest. I tried to create a radio button, but without success. I clicked the design mode icon, a button was visible. On clicking it, nothing happened?

After clicking the "Option Button" icon you need to click and drag on the sheet to get the Option button in place and the right size.
That Option Button should then be copied and pasted a number of times depending on the number of dependent options.
For example, say there are just two dependent options, Male and Female, the original Option Button should be copied and pasted just once so that there are two Option Buttons.
Once the Option Buttons are in place you set their properties via each button's Properties dailogue.
A button's Properties dialogue can be brought up by right-clicking the button then selecting "Control..." from the pop up menu.
There is also a toolbar icon that will bring up the Properties dialogue (not clickable until a control is selected).
The important properties are...
Label on the dialogue's "General" tab sheet; eg Female for one and Male for the other.
Linked cell on the dialogue's "Data" tab sheet; eg A1 for one and A2 for the other.
With the option buttons in place and with their properties set, after Design Mode is turned off they should work.
Clicking the Male button should turn on that option and turn off the Female option.
If the Male option's Linked cell is A1 then A1 will show TRUE and if A2 is the Female option's Linked cell then A2 will show FALSE.
Clicking the Female option should turn on the Female option and turn off the Male option, then A1 will show FALSE and A2 will show TRUE.

Ken Johnson
anon_private
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Making progress.

Is there a difference betwwen pasting a radio button, and creating another radio button?

Thanks
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anon_private wrote:
Is there a difference betwwen pasting a radio button, and creating another radio button

Say you need option buttons for Male, Female, Swimmer and Non-swimmer.
You need four buttons so that either Male or Female can be chosen, never both (dependent); and either Swimmer or Non-swimmer can be chosen, never both, regardless of the Male/Female choice (independent).
You would create a button then copy/paste it so that you have two dependent buttons for Male/Female. Then you would create a new button, independent of the first and its copy, then copy/paste it so that you have two dependent buttons for Swimmer/Non-swimmer.

Ken Johnson
anon_private
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the help - much appreciated.

Best wishes.

A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: