OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[SOLVED] Extract data from string and format trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlsson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Extract data from string and format trouble Reply with quote

Hi, I am a newbie having trouble...
I'm trying to manipulate data imported from a website that is updated every few minutes (that works great using the Import external data feature).
What I want to do is to convert currency and then calculate the price.

For example, the price is displayed in Australian Dollars in cell A1 like this : 3.15 AUD
I use =LEFT(A1;4) to extract the price without the AUD part, and then put the extracted price in another cell (B1)

I want to convert that into US dollars, so in cell C1 I have the exchange rate 1 AUD = 1.0581 U.S. dollar (that is also imported and updated every now and then).
To extract that value into cell D1 I use =MID(C1;9;5). That only works as long as there is 4 decimals in the exchange rate, if the exchange rate is 1.04 U.S. dollar it would extract "1.04 U"

Is there a way to just extract the number?

I am also having trouble with data formats. I set the format in cells B1 and D1 to numbers and with 2 decimals, but somehow it seems to be interpreted as text as I can't seem to use the numbers in a function.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

edit Ok, I've figured out a solution to my decimal problem.
I used =LEN() to get the number of characters in the string and then just subtracted the number of characters that I didn't want (i.e remove 1 AUS = and U.S dollar) like this: =MID(C1;9;LEN(C1)-20))

Last edited by carlsson on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
range
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

If you enclose your formula with:VALUE(), it will convert the string to a numeric value so that it can be used in calculations, eg

=VALUE(MID(C1;9;LEN(C1)-20))
carlsson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked wonders, thank you! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: