OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

De-activiate auto-date formatting tools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgsherm
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: De-activiate auto-date formatting tools Reply with quote

I would like to put in some cells numbers in the format of X.X.X to represent software versions. whenever I do, Calc changes it into a date format. I tried turing off autoformating, but that does not work. I also tried to remove the date X.X.X template from format->cells->numbers->Date, but that seems locked out.

Any ideas on how I can do this? PLEASE?!?!
french
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select the cells in which you wish to enter your version numbers. Then

Format menu
Cells...
Numbers tab
in the Category box, select Text. You may have to scroll down to see it. It's the last option.
dclijste

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not working, or at least not in OOo 3.0
romunov
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, it keeps shifting formatting back to Date. Really really annoying. On the other hand, you can use quote at the start of the cell text. Not the solution I was hoping for...
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formatting will never change values. Format your numbers or formula numeric results however you like. The value remains the same.
Number format "Text" is special because it turns off all interpretation of cell-input.
New input =SUM(A1:A5) is taken as literal string despite the leading "=".
'123 is taken as literal string including the leading apostrophe
123 is taken as literal string despite being numeric input. Same with 12/, 12/3, 12/3/, 12/3/99, Aug 99, July 1999, 1999-12-31, 12%, 1.23E-4, TRUE, FALSE, 13:45:59, anything is literal text when entered in text-formatted cells.
Remove number format "Text" and all numeric strings get a leading apostrophe in order to prevent data corruption (automatic conversion from text to number).
arthur44

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas in OO Calc 3.1 (German Version) values are still cahnged. Despite various attemts to disableing AutoConversion into data (I turned off *Extras&Yelleingabe&Automatisch berechnen & AutoEingabe).

Whenever I enter scientific data separated by "." such as
Jan Feb Mar Apr Mai Jun
3.1 1.3 2.2 3.3 8.4 10.5 [°C]
I end up with

Jan Feb Mar Apr Mai Jun
03.01.09 01.03.09 02.02.09 03.03.09 08.04.09 10.05.09 [°C]

Despite the fact that I see what I wish to see in the import dialoge (Inhalte Einfügen)

Converting back to std. number format results in
39816 39873 39846 39875 39911 39943
No the initial values, so values are definitely changed in the case of auto conversion to date.

Is there any way to really turn of such auto conversion that might be undesirable in not so few situations (scientific date, monetary values not using a special char to mark the unit, software versions...)?
It would sufice if the auto conversion would be undone upon pressing ctrl+z the first time, but that currently deletes the whole inserted text.
Insertions triggering autoConversion should probably only be deleted when pressing ctrl+z a 2nd time, as there where at lesast two actions i.e. insertion and auto converson that a user might wish to undo indepentendly.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a single value is changed. Notheing gets converted by any means. You've got to enter text as text, German numbers in German context, English numbers in English context and apply any number format to your liking. "123,000" is not 123 thousand in Germany. "12/03/2009" is the 3rd of December in the USA.

Unfortunately, "3.1" is taken as a 1st of Jan. in German context (day number, point as date-separator, month number) just like 3/1 in most other languages (3rd of March in US).
"3,1" is a decimal number "3 point 1" in German number format locale. Nobody in Germany uses the dot as decimal separator. Since you refuse to use the program, it has no choice other than using the locale context according to your operating system which seems to be German like the GUI language of OOo.

The big problem in all spreadsheets is, that by intention every single cell is able to take any different value of any type. There are no data types as in databases. It has to interprete your input as number, formula or text within a given locale context.

Second big problem: Everybody uses Calc as csv-editor without mentioning this matter of fact in the forums.
All spreadsheets handle csv inaquately.
Calc has an import option to interprete selected columns in English(US) locale context.
arthur44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Villeroy

thanks for the fast reply

Re: "Nobody in Germany uses the dot as decimal separator. "
Well the numbers I inserted came from a more or less official site
http://www.wetteronline.de/Bremen/Bremen.htm
In some mode it displays historic official climate records and uses the dot in temperatures in a page otherwise written in German as do a number of scientific software systems also in use in Germany probably because they did no perfecly implement the locale handling in German context, or just did not care about it.

Where do I find the option to enter selected csv tables in English locale / change the locale to English for a given spreadshead even if the GUI stays german or change the language and locale completely to English, which would be more appropriate in a research context?
I would like that very much.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well the numbers I inserted came from a more or less official site

The software does not read your mind. It does not know where the data come from or what they mean. There is no artificial intelligence in OOo.
Tools>Options...LanguageSettings>Languages: "Application locale" sets all numeric context for the entire office suite.
Every single cell in Calc and Writer tables and numeric form controls have a number format locale.
Number format locales can be set for cell styles in spreadsheets (and thus on template and application level).

When you open a csv file directly the data are filled in a completely new spreadsheet, thus you can modify the application locale for the import and switch back once everything has been imported well.
In the text import dialog you see a preview on the imported columns and you can fix the import type for every column individually.

Importing all similar csv tables through the database module is the best way to handle csv in all components of this office suite.
You create a dedicated directory where you dump all similar csv, connect a database document to the directory of text tables and the rest is simple drag&drop in Writer and Calc.
Similar text tables use the same encoding, delimiters and name-suffix.
[Tutorial] Using registered data sources in Calc
oowop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: SOLUTION maybe for all Reply with quote

Annoyance which I could kill an idiot who put that in openoffice and even before in excel.

I enter value 12.1 into cell which is meant USD and software changes it to 12.1.2011 Evil or Very Mad

WHY! If you're so smart maybe I tought 12.1.1720 or something. Stupid stupid stupid. Where's the off switch.

Well solution is simple.

Default language was set to Slovenian which uses dd.mm.yyyy dating format and we write our numbers like this 1.000.000,00 but I was working with information from american company which uses dot for decimal separator and that was making all the trouble.

Write/Paste 12.1 | Changes to date 12.1.2011 | I change that cell to number format | OO changes to 43543 (serial number for that particular date) crap-a-looney!!

My solution: Change whole document language to English (USA) and now all values with dots were actualy numbers and not dates or text with apostrofe (' this crap), I can't spell it. Tools|Options|Language settings in OO 3.3.0.

Bunch of unneccesary clicking every time you do something like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: