OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Paste text from one cell into specific part of text in adjac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharmaine73

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Paste text from one cell into specific part of text in adjac Reply with quote

Hello:
I have searched for the answer to this question and have not been able to obtain a satisfactory answer. My guess is that it will involve some sort of find/replace function.

Here it is.

I have a column (call is column A) that has a description of an item in each cell. Each description is different.

In another cell (call it column B) I have some text. The text in column B is the same in each cell.

I would like the information in each cell in column A to be placed in a specific part of the text in column B.

For Example:
Column A, Cell A1
Big Blue Chair

Column B, Cell B1
I have this really awesome [INSERT TEXT]. I will trade it for your red one.

Final Output should look like this:
I have this really awesome Big Blue Chair. I will trade it for your red one.

Column A, Cell A2
Purple Stuffed Dinosaur

Column B, Cell B2
I have this really awesome [INSERT TEXT]. I will trade it for your red one.

Final Output should look like this:
I have this really awesome Purple Stuffed Dinosaur. I will trade it for your red one.

And so on...

Is there a simple way for me to accomplish this? Please keep in mind I'm not a programmer. I don't know how to work with code. I could probably figure it out with proper instruction but you'd have to drive me there on the short bus. Thanks in advance!

Smile
ozzie
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In B1
Code:
="I have this really awesome "&A1&"I will trade it for your red one."

Drag this down with the fill handle (black dot at the bottom right corner of active cell)
sharmaine73

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Didn't work Reply with quote

Thanks Ozzie. Sorry it took me a while to respond but I was trying to get your solution to work. It did not work, I suspect, because of the sheer amount of information that needs to go into each cell of column B which includes a lot of HTML code text. I have been trying all day to find an easy way to plug information into a template. For the time being I am giving up and having dinner. Thanks for your reply. I will still be able to use it as I often do this sort of function.

Sharmaine Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: