OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Copying diagram from calc to writer messes up the numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Copying diagram from calc to writer messes up the numbers Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm working on a paper which I have to submit to my prof until friday, but there's something wrong with one of the diagrams:

It is displayed correctly in calc but if I copy it to writer the numbers on the Y axxis all switch to 0. Everything else stays correct, even the graphs, it's just the numbers that get messed up.

I really don't understand why this happens, all other diagrams work perfectly.

I'd really appreciate some help, I've tried everything I could think of and google is no help either. I need this as soon as possible since there are more papers than just this one for me to write. Sad
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Copying diagram from calc to writer messes up the number Reply with quote

Mechanic wrote:
Hi,

I'm working on a paper which I have to submit to my prof until friday, but there's something wrong with one of the diagrams:

It is displayed correctly in calc but if I copy it to writer the numbers on the Y axxis all switch to 0. Everything else stays correct, even the graphs, it's just the numbers that get messed up.

I really don't understand why this happens, all other diagrams work perfectly.

I'd really appreciate some help, I've tried everything I could think of and google is no help either. I need this as soon as possible since there are more papers than just this one for me to write. Sad

We need more detail.
What OS?

What exact verrsion of OOo or LibreOffice?
(Look under Help > About. For example my LibreOffice under Ubuntu says LibreOffice 3.4.4

Were both the Writer and Calc files created in OOo/LO?

What kind of graph/chart was it? Column chart, x-y graph or what?

How are you inserting it into Writer?

If posssible a copy of the two files would be useful. You might want to zip them and post them to something like www.mediafire.com asssuming Mediafire allows zips. Otherwise just upload both files.
Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OO version is 3.3.0

Both files were made with OO, the writer and the calc file.

I selected the diagramm, copied it and then inserted it into writer. I did this with all of the diagrams but only one shows the error I described.

It's a bar chart with X and Y axis.

I'm sorry, but I can't attach the files. We aren't allowed to do this to prevent plagiarism and unauthorized use. I'm maybe overprotective of my work but I don't want to ignore my profs instructions. If the problem can't be solved because of this then I will hand in my work with the error and explain personally why it's there.

Meanwhile a second error has ocurred in writer: I have one page that contains two diagrams and a bit of text. Whenever I click on page view one of the diagrams (including the text beneath it) gets moved to a new page seemingly without reason. I thought maybe there's not enough space so I shortened the text, but that part of the page still gets moved to the new page whenever I click page view. It's really annoying and doesn't look good. Sad
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanic wrote:
My OO version is 3.3.0

Both files were made with OO, the writer and the calc file.

I selected the diagramm, copied it and then inserted it into writer. I did this with all of the diagrams but only one shows the error I described.

It's a bar chart with X and Y axis.

Okay that's even weirder if it 's only one chart.

Can you cut and paste that data into a new file and recreate the chart there? Nasty workaround but it might work. or you might try pasting into Impress and then a copy and paste from there?

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I can't attach the files. We aren't allowed to do this to prevent plagiarism and unauthorized use. I'm maybe overprotective of my work but I don't want to ignore my profs instructions. If the problem can't be solved because of this then I will hand in my work with the error and explain personally why it's there.

No you probably are not being overly protective if your profs are worried.

If you want you could email me a Calc file with just the chart (cunningly changing the title and legend and I could at least see if I could reproduce the problem with that graph. PM me for an email address if you want to try this.

As something of a universal cure you could reset your OOo user profile . This seems to be OOo's weak link and resetting it often cures otherwise obscure problems

Quote:
Meanwhile a second error has ocurred in writer: I have one page that contains two diagrams and a bit of text. Whenever I click on page view one of the diagrams (including the text beneath it) gets moved to a new page seemingly without reason. I thought maybe there's not enough space so I shortened the text, but that part of the page still gets moved to the new page whenever I click page view. It's really annoying and doesn't look good. Sad

Again reset your OOo user profile may help.

However, this may be a matter of how you have anchored your diagram. Right click in the diagram qnd select anchor. The default (at least in LibreOffice 3.4.4 is paragraph. The setting anchor to character or even better as character tends to give more stable results.

Oh, what happens when you a)actually print that page or b) export it to a pdf file and view it?
Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'moving' diagramm error is fixed; your suggestion worked and now the diagram stays at its place - thanks a lot! Very Happy

However, the messed up numbers are still there. I wrote the numbers (without calculations) on another tab and recreated the diagram. It's shown correctly there. When copy-pasted into the writer-file the numbers still switch to 0.
I've reset OO's user settings but I get the same results. In the process I wasn't asked to import any prior settings though, just if I wanted OO to automatically search for updates which I clicked.

When printed or exported to a pdf file the numbers are 0.

PS: Thanks for the offer but I think I'll just let it be if you don't know what to do either. I already have to be done on friday plus I spoke with the prof and he said I could just send him the file with the correct diagram too. If we get it to work that would be great, if not then this solution will do too. Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it! Very Happy
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try exporting your data for that chart as a csv file, import it into a new Calc file and redo the graph.

I'm glad the anchoring problem was fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: