OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

doesn't remember lines when saved as RTF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rb6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: doesn't remember lines when saved as RTF Reply with quote

hello,

my girlfriend is currently working on a paper and she's using the lovely openoffice (I did get the latest verison).

she is used to save in rtf. she did a few lines within her document (using the "drawing" tools)... weirdly, it doesn't remember the lines when she opens the document after a save. everything is there, except for the lines.

I did try to save as a .doc file and it works great, everything is saved correctly.

can you guys explain this to me ?!? I guess we'll be using .doc files from now on cause that rtf format doesn't seem to work quite right in openoffice.

thanks everyone !
rb
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Saving in formats other than OpenOffice ODF format requires conversions if you save in doc or rtf you loose some formats.
So always save in ODF and only save in other formats when you need to distribute your document.

Martin
floris_v

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't save in RTF format - it's very poorly supported in OOo. Almost any other format is better. But she should save in Writer's native format - odt. Only when she's ready to submit her work can she export to PDF or save in Word's doc format (don't try docx).
rb6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you ! great support !!

so okay, I understand that the best thing to do is to work in the openoffice format "Odt"...

the thing is that the document MUST be sent as a "doc" or a "rtf" file....

so, I hope that the person who will recieve the final paper will be able to see those lines !! so far, I had succes with "doc" but not with "rtf" so I guess that the final project should be save and sent as a "doc" file.

thanks again, my girl will be happy !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: