OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

1.1.3 Linux - Settings not remaining

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lan873000
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: 1.1.3 Linux - Settings not remaining Reply with quote

I am running Open Office 1.1.3 on Suse Linux. Every time I start the program it asks me to register my product. I have.

It also does not show recent files and the front page compatibility options don't seem to remain in effect from one start-up to the next.

I did uninstall OO 1.1.2 and have installed 1.1.3 twice.

Any advice?

Thanks
DannyB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you install on SuSE Linux? Did you use "install" or did you use "setup"?

I'm presently running SuSE 9.1, and have not upgraded OOo from the 1.1.1 that came with it.

In the past I was running SuSE 8.1 and upgraded OOo multiple times. When I would use the "setup" script, I would get the behavior you describe. When I would use the "install" script, everything would work fine.

You need to give options such as....

./install --interactive --prefix=/opt

and run it as root. On SuSE 9.1 this may be a trick. You cannot log into KDE as root. And as a user you cannot do "xhost +localhost" prior to doing an "su" and then run "install". I had this frustration with the mozilla installer.

What to do?

In KDE, press Alt-F2. Click the button that expands the dialog with additional options. Pick the [x] Run as different user, and specify root. Specify the command to the "install --interactive --prefix=/opt", and this should work. But I have NOT tried since SuSE 8.1, so my guess on how to install in SuSE 9.1 may not work.
Dark_Knight
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't experienced this issue so maybe either your package was corrupted, requires a file not installed on your system or it's conflicting with an older release still on your drive. What I recommend is to make sure you're using the latest version of KDE or Gnome. You can update it by following the steps here http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73978 or by adding Apt4RPM which is a front end for the package manager. Then ensure you uninstall Open Office in "YaST Control Center -> Install & Remove Software". You should do this when updating a package not provided as a compiled RPM such as Open Office. Reason is because the Open Office update will not be recognized by the package manager (in this case YaST).

I do hope the Open Office developers start offering packaged binary RPM for RPM based distributions (ie: SuSE Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora Linux, Mandrake Linux, etc). The current installer while attractive does cause issues with some systems and as I already pointed out cannot be monitored by package installers such as YaST.

SuSE Linux 10/ KDE 3.5.1
DannyB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark_Knight wrote:
I do hope the Open Office developers start offering packaged binary RPM for RPM based distributions (ie: SuSE Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora Linux, Mandrake Linux, etc).

Unfortunantly, they will begin doing this with version 2.0 due out this spring.

Who knows? Maybe after I see the result I will like it.
lan873000
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, if you wait long enough, the problem goes away or you go away. In this case the problem went away when I downloaded 1.1.4.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: