OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Auto-populating records in a table.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulDG
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Auto-populating records in a table. Reply with quote

I currently have an employee database where I have a table with "basic details" along with a number of other tables on a "one-to-many" relationship using the <EmployeeID>.

Is it possible that when I create a new employee, using the "Basic Details" form, that a record is created in each of the other table? I guess it would just need to create a blank record with only the <EmployeeID> being added.

I suspect this has been asked before, but I'm not finding a solution when browsing though the topics.

Example I add Joe Smith, EmployeeID 101 in the "Basic Details" form and automatically a record is created in the "Address Details" table with just the <RecordID>, which is an auto-value field and EmployeeID "101. I'd fill in the rest later.
floris_v

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just put the address data in the same record (table) as the basic data, and enter them when you add an employee. Then you won't have to worry about programmatically adding records to tables.
PaulDG
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately my example was a simplistic one. I also have contract, absence, appraisal, emergency contact and various other tables all of which will need to be pre-populated when a new employee is created. In addition to this, addresses can change so employees will have both current and old addresses.

I'm still hoping that there is a way that filling in a form can create a "barebones" record in all of the related tables.
Billyray
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a barebones record just one that has the foreign key: EmployeeID?

Are all of the subforms on the mainform? If they were, your suforms would already have a new record ready with the foreign key, but the record would only be created if something actually was entered into the subform's record.

If the subforms are not all on the same main form, are they individually called up? How?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: