OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Help request for strikethrough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aureal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Help request for strikethrough Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to use strikethrough and cannot find it. The help information says to go to context menu and then choose style. I have checked all of the tabs for context menu and style and can find neither. When I put 'context menu" in the search box in help, nothing comes up.

thanks in advance for your help
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to Format->Character and click on the "Font Effects" tab. Strikethrough is the second option down on the right side.

I will add that I'm on LibreOffice 3.5.1, but I'm pretty sure it was the same on OpenOffice.org.
Aureal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Thank you Corfy Reply with quote

Found it! I appreciate the help, very much, and will check out LibreOffice, too!

Aureal
Aureal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Corfy, can you please help? Reply with quote

After I replied to you I went to libreoffice site and downloaded it. It downloaded as a device??? and now I cannot uninstall it. I tried to go to libreoffice community forum to get help and I cannot get in. Thank you!

Aureal
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using Windows, it should have downloaded as an .msi file (Microsoft Installer file... don't ask me what the real difference is between .exe and .msi, but for all practical purposes, they are pretty much the same). I don't know why it would be showing up as a device, though. Nor do I know why you can't uninstall it.

But in the last two, two and a half years, OpenOffice.org has switched hands twice (first when Oracle bought Sun, and second when Oracle gave OpenOffice.org to Apache), and in the middle of that, most of the developers left and formed their own project, which became known as LibreOffice. OpenOffice.org is still around and still being developed, but the real development is being done on LibreOffice. Earlier versions of LibreOffice was just OpenOffice.org that had been renamed, but more features and changes are starting to work their way into LibreOffice, so they are starting to feel like different projects. This forum supports both.
Aureal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Thank you Corfy Reply with quote

I was able to uninstall, I hope! I have mac and have recently installed parallels and windows because I need them for an astrological software that only works on windows. I did not have parallels or windows open when I downloaded libreoffice and I have not ever had something download as a device. whew! okay, so any suggestions for trying to install it again? I really appreciate your help -- do moderators get paid, I hope! It is great to know
that this forum is available for both oo and libre.

Another question I have is there a comparable something to ms publisher?

Thanks, very much,

Aureal
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'm not a Mac user, but I do believe there is a Mac version of LibreOffice. Secondly, if you are trying to install the program within Parallels, it would probably be better to download it there, too (just to be safe).

Third, there is nothing really comparable to Publisher within OOo/LO, and nothing that can open Publisher files. Although depending on what you are doing, you might be able to use Draw. I've done some one-page flyers in Draw before (Draw is closer to Visio than Publisher, however). You can also take a look at Scribus http://www.scribus.net. That is considerably more powerful than Publisher (although it can't open Publisher files, either... the only thing I know that opens Publisher files is Publisher), but it does have a bit of a learning curve, as it is closer to Quark XPress or Adobe InDesign than Publisher.

And no, moderators don't get paid.
Aureal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Thanks, Corfy Reply with quote

I am so sorry that you do not get paid. ugh! and I really appreciate your help.

I did not have parallels open and was not using windows at the time I download LibreOffice.
I will look for a mac version, though, when time allows another try at downloading that.

Thanks for the info on publisher, I am going to take a look at scribus. I don't need to open pub files I want to create new things though.

Are we able to exchange emails directly, in case I ever need computer help?

thanks,

Aureal
Corfy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks, Corfy Reply with quote

You are quite welcome for the help.

Aureal wrote:
Are we able to exchange emails directly, in case I ever need computer help?l

Frankly, posting to the forums would be better for getting help. As a moderator on this forum, it is my job to help police the forums for spam and other unwanted content. Being a moderator doesn't make me (or require me to be) an expert on OpenOffice.org (or LibreOffice). I'm just a guy who enjoys using the software and is trying to give something back in my own little way.

I've picked up quite a few tips and tricks while lurking on the forums and simply using the software, but I don't pretend to be an expert.
Aureal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Thanks, Corfy Reply with quote

you are very kind and I will do as you suggest!

Aureal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: