OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Including a picture in the PDF's but only in PDFs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Including a picture in the PDF's but only in PDFs Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to fo the following:

while normal working I print 99% of my text docs on my letterhead (on paper), but when I have to send some docs to the world (via email) I "print" them via the pdf fuction. I would like to include some graphics (i.e. my letterhead) in those pdf's (but not in the "normal" document)

I hope somone can understand what I would like to do Smile (And has a good tip what to do)

THANKS Jan Very Happy Very Happy
acolvin
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can place the heading you want in a frame.

The frame could be placed in the header

The frame can have its print attribute set/unset

You will need to set the attribute when you are producing a pdf and unset it when you wish to print.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Including a picture in the PDF's but only in PDFs Reply with quote

sixpack wrote:
Hi,

I would like to fo the following:

while normal working I print 99% of my text docs on my letterhead (on paper), but when I have to send some docs to the world (via email) I "print" them via the pdf fuction. I would like to include some graphics (i.e. my letterhead) in those pdf's (but not in the "normal" document)

I hope somone can understand what I would like to do Smile (And has a good tip what to do)

THANKS Jan Very Happy Very Happy

Keep two copies of the original document; one including and one excluding the graphics. use the one with graphics to create the PDf file.

David.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this:

Create a template containing your header and nothing else. If page 2 etc is not to have a header then you need to right click, select page/organiser and assign a style with the "next" drop down menu that doesn't have a header.

If there is no other difference between the 2 save the graphic-less document, and then via insert/file import it into the one with the header. The import should be perfect, you can then do the export to pdf.

Does this solve the issue? If it does, I see no compelling reason to save more than 1 copy, either the pdf or the original.

Ian
sixpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be the best solution (yet) Smile

As I am not the only person trying to use OO in a "normal" office env. and I think it would be a valuable feature (noone will send out a headerless PDF) I really hope someone will include this. (BTW this can be solved using Acrobats Engine but thats not the way to go Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it.

To make the most of it you need firstly to have a basic understanding of page styles, which comprise a major feature of OOo writer. You are bound to have a corporate style and adherence to the page style concept can only enhance that.

Firstly, decide how page 1 will look, there may be both a header and footer. Then, you may want a logo on pages 2 and so on. In any event, there are 2 constants:

1. Page 1 will always differ from page 2 and
2. Page 2 will always follow page 1!

As a result when you have set up both page styles (I recommend putting the continuation logo in a header also, so it is repeated)you can predetermine that (say) continuation will be "next" after page 1 and if you set up "continuation" as the next style whilst in page 2 it will continue to repeat.

You can also, at will, insert page breaks, defining the style at that point, so if you have any other styles to put in (landscape comes to mind) it's a good idea to do this at the preparation of template stage.

Whether you separately save the pdf is up to you. Don't forget that by using file\send\document as pdf attachment you can simply create the pdf without actually saving it.

I'm not sure that, once the legwork has been done and the template has been created, that it would be any easier using anything else.

Hope this helps

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: