OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Integrating OO Writer into Existing Java App

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskers
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Integrating OO Writer into Existing Java App Reply with quote

Hello all, sorry if this has been addressed previously:

The project I'm working on has a feature that lets the user pull up a document editor window and write a report on their work. I would like to replace the existing document editor (which is basically an HTMLCanvas in Java) with OO Writer. I can see from the many fine examples that I can launch a new OO text document using Java UNO. The problem is that there are features of the old document editor that I am unsure how to duplicate in OO. For instance, the old document editor had a right-click menu that would let the user insert a bibliographic reference. It would do that by either popping up a dialog to let the user enter information about their literary source, or by letting them choose an existing bibliographic reference in our database. They could do the same thing through this right-click menu for acronyms and figure reference as well.

I guess what I am asking is for suggestions (and directions, if you can) as to the best way to accomplish all this in OO Writer. Is it possible to invoke the Java classes that do all this work from OO? If so, is that the best way in OO to accomplish this task? Sorry for the long post, and thank you if you read down this far in it!
Cybb20
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi whiskers (have you got anything to do with whiskas the catfood? Wink),
you won't be able to extend the right-click context menu from Java.
However OpenOffice has quite good database support (it will become a full component in OOo 2.0 !) and you can also access this via the API, not just only the UI.
Unfortunately I have never dealt with it, so others might give you some more information on how to use bibliographic references and things.

Christian
whiskers
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice, Cybb20! I'll keep digging into the API, and post back if I find a suitable solution.

<snip>have you got anything to do with whiskas the catfood?</snip> Ha ha, didn't think of that, but I do purchase an awful lot of catfood! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: