OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Best way to apply multiple (5+) filters to a database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Best way to apply multiple (5+) filters to a database Reply with quote

Hello!

In Excel I made a fairly fancy flash card viewer/creator using macros and user forms. It has a few functions that I want to incorporate into my forms that I am making in OpenOffice.org, but I need some help. I have successfully transferred all 3000 flash cards into a database in OOo. I have linked a form to it so i can view the cards and create new ones. However, in my Excel version (which, as one may guess, was pretty messy as it was in a spreadsheet), I had created the ability to easily sort the cards by difficulty and by category. For example, I could create a "stack" of cards that consisted of all my Ocular Neuro-Anatomy cards that had been given a rating of 3 (out of 5) or higher. Then, as I looked at the cards, I could choose to put them back in the "working stack" or have them discarded.

So essentially, there were 3 things that made this application awesome (humbly):
1. Filter by rank
2. Filter by category (selecting many categories at one time, or just one category)
3. Choose to either discard a card, or shuffle it back in the "working stack."

So, without asking too many questions in one post, what is the best way to incorporate this kind of flexibility with a database? Sub forms? Queries?

I expect someone will mention that I could just use the filter tool in the navigation bar. Likely I will be the only one using this, so I don't have a problem with using the filter tool in the nav bar, it is a little bit limiting, though. Let's say I have 30 categories in my 3000 cards and each category has 10 sub categories, and each card has a rank from 1 to 5, I would like to be able to select (maybe from a list box) many categories to include, or subcategories, and then set a rating filter (1 to 5). Even adding additional filters like "author" (who made the card) and maybe even "date" or something like that. Essentially, I don't want to be limited by the 3 or 4 options it gives me in the filter tool pop-up.

In the end, I'd like to be able to apply a set of filters to the 3000 cards so that I am just navigating through a hand full of records (like 20-100) at a time, and discarding them when I choose to, but then be able to shuffle them back in so I have the 20 (or 100 or whatever) cards that I began with back.

I hope I am making sense, if anything is unclear, just let me know.

I am trying to make the switch from the "straight forward" method of using a spreadsheet to organize and store data to, what I am learning, is a much more stable method, i.e. Databases.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read all of this Smile

Thanks even more for replying. Any help will be much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: