OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Open Office will not load
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Open Office will not load Reply with quote

I have downloaded Open Office and run the instalation without any errors. But when I try to start any part of the program suite it takes me through the registration screens and then ends. Once again there are no errors, but the application simply does not run.

I have tried various different options on the registration screens and I have tried rebooting the PC. Is there something I have missed?
ffrandall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: OpenOffice will not open Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem. It takes me through the registration process, then everything disappears. Please help if you can.
MaxP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to load the same version of Open Office on a Windows XP PC today and it registered and ran OK.

I tried another reload on the Windows 7 Laptop but the same thing still happens with the registration and the application never runs.
Senteth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also using Openoffice 3.3 with Windows 7 64 bit, and am getting the exact same problem. Up until a few days ago the program worked fine.

So far I have tried multiple reboots, uninstalls and reinstalls, but the problem persists.
ffrandall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice will not open or run Reply with quote

I talked to a Geek Squad rep today and he has no clue. Another person suggested that I turn off McAfee, so I'll try that. If it helps, I'll post again.
ffrandall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice will not open or run Reply with quote

BTW, both people I talked to run OO on Windows 7, 64-bit machines with no problems.
MaxP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a long search on Google for a solution this morning. I have found the problem reported numerous times, but so far no solution.

Surely someone must have got around it.
ffrandall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: OpenOffice won't open Reply with quote

Well, my OOo has started working. I'm not 100% sure why. Here's what I know.

1. I opened it from the Start Menu and it worked. After that, opening it from the desktop icon worked too. Maybe simply using the Start Menu solved the problem. I don't know.

2. It took a fairly long time to open. Maybe I simply had not been waiting long enough after the registration process finished.

Anyway, it works now. Please try the above actions and let me know if either works for you.
genius3e8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Solution! Reply with quote

I was having a heck of a time trying to get Open Office 3.3.0 to work on my Windows 7 64-bit OS. When I installed it I used the Right-Click "Run as Administrator" option just to be safe, even though being logged in as the Admin is supposed to take care of that. It installed fine, but when I tried to open a file I got the Registration page. If I chose Register Later or Do Not Register the program would simply close when I clicked Finish. If I selected I would like to Register the program would freeze when I clicked Finish. Eventually, after reading the post about opening from the Start Menu, I tried that to no avail. I then tried the Right-Click "Run as Administrator" from the Start Menu and when I clicked Finish in the Registration window it asked me to select or create a new database. After completing that step it started working fine. I can now open Open Office files without any issue and without having to use the Right-Click "Run as Administrator" option. I think this has to do with the program not having the permission to create the Registry Key for the database. I hope this saves somebody the hours it took me to get it working on my PC.
Senteth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loading from start menu and run as administrator sugestions didn't work for me, but I finally got Openoffice to load by deleting the user settings. Just delete the entire 3 settings folder and everything in it. Hope this helps.
trimguy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Doesn't Open Reply with quote

I've tried all the given suggestions and nothing works? It goes to the registration screen and stops. I try to load from the START menu and OpenOffice Base makes me register (AGAIN) then stops.. Are you SURE this works on Windows 7.

Never had this problem on XP Sad
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Doesn't Open Reply with quote

trimguy wrote:
I've tried all the given suggestions and nothing works? It goes to the registration screen and stops. I try to load from the START menu and OpenOffice Base makes me register (AGAIN) then stops.. Are you SURE this works on Windows 7.

Never had this problem on XP Sad

I've been running it on a netbook (32 biT) with MX 7 starter for over a year with no problem.
trimguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Incompatible ! Reply with quote

Well, Windows7 NOW tells me Open Office is not compatible, so I have taken the liberty of deleting it. Funny how I wasn't told this when I first tried to download it. Rolling Eyes

Oh well, thanks for nothing, OO. Evil or Very Mad
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Incompatible ! Reply with quote

trimguy wrote:
Well, Windows7 NOW tells me Open Office is not compatible, so I have taken the liberty of deleting it. Funny how I wasn't told this when I first tried to download it. Rolling Eyes

Oh well, thanks for nothing, OO. Evil or Very Mad

Funny lots of people run OOo on Windows 7, including myself. . Where did you get OOo?

Are you sure that something like your virus protection software is not causing the problem?
friedrichleicht

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issue as OP. My Win7 64bit Home Premium now tells me that OOo is an "incompatible program". None of the "solutions" found on this site (including uninstalling IE9) worked for me. It seems to me that OOo has an unidentified issue with Win7 64bit, otherwise there would not be so many posts all over the internet.
For now, it's MS Office Starter for me. I only ever used Calc or Writer, so Word and Excel are fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: