OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] Database Tables missing after moving to new compute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watchmann

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Database Tables missing after moving to new compute Reply with quote

Hello!

I recently got a new Windows 7 Pro 64 computer. I created a database under Windows XP pro using HSQLDB 2 “multi-mode.”. My new computer is setup a little different than the old one. It has a SSD (C drive) for the OS, and my data and Open Office live on a HDD (E drive).

I have installed hsqldb2_OOe.exe on the new computer.

When I try to open the database on the new computer, I do not get any tables. The Queries and Forms are there. The path to the data on the old computer was:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\Databases\Models_db
The path on the new computer is:
E:\Users\Username\My Documents\Databases\Models_db

I'm not sure exactly what to do, but I did go to Edit-Database-Properties and edited the Datasource URL to reflect the new path. Still, no tables. I also ran through the connection wizard under Edit-Database-Connection Type.

I also noticed that a new “My Documents” folder was created. I now have two under “My Documents” folders under:
E:\Users\Username\
Two files appear in the new E:\Users\Username\My Documents\Databases\Models_db, folder...
Models.properties
Models.script

I deleted the new folder, then opened the database again and watched to see when the new folder appeared. When I open the database, “Forms” is selected under the Database Column. When I click on “Tables” the new “My Documents” folder appears.

Any idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
matt

Last edited by Watchmann on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mgroenescheij
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Under Tools --> Option ... OpenOffice Base ... Databases you can edit the path to your database.

Martin
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgroenescheij wrote:
Hi,

Under Tools --> Option ... OpenOffice Base ... Databases you can edit the path to your database.

Martin

... which helps when office documents do not find the database.odb
In the database Edit>Database>Connection... lets you edit the path of the database which helps when the database.odb can not find the database files.
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Database Tables missing after moving to new computer Reply with quote

Hi matt,

Nice job!!!

So you're running the 'multi-mode' database in 'file mode'...

Watchmann wrote:
The path on the new computer is:
E:\Users\Username\My Documents\Databases\Models_db

...I did go to Edit-Database-Properties and edited the Datasource URL to reflect the new path. Still, no tables.

Please post your 'data source URL'

Watchmann wrote:
I now have two under “My Documents” folders under:
E:\Users\Username\

If the folder names are exact, that should be impossible...unless your viewing a 'Library' in which case folders of the same name should be merged for viewing purposes. But I guess you could move your database folder into the one created by HSQLDB (upon clicking Tables in Base), since the two paths are exactly the same...?
Watchmann

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread.

Just after my first post, I tried reinstalling OOo to the C drive and copied the db to the C:\users folders. I modified the path, but no tables appeared.

I reinstalled OOo to the E drive this morning, reinstalled hsqldb2_OOo.exe and tried again.

I'm not sure what happened, but it's working now.
This is the original url, the first time I tried to open the database.
hsqldb:file:/Documents and Settings/Usename/My Documents/Databases/Models_db/Models;default_schema=true;shutdown=true;hsqldb.default_table_type=cached;get_column_name=false

I edited it to fit the Win7 directory structure...
hsqldb:file:/Users/Usename/My Documents/Databases/Models_db/Models;default_schema=true;shutdown=true;hsqldb.default_table_type=cached;get_column_name=false

I am very sure I did not make a syntax mistake, since I checked it repeatedly, in OOo and coping it to a text file. I even copied and pasted the new path from the address bar in Windows Explorer (and changed the slashes).

As far as the second "my documents" folder appearing, I thought that was very strange too. I don't like the "library" feature in Win 7, so I made sure I was drilling down to the User's folder in Windows Explorer. The names were exactly the same, but the icon on the folder was different. I can't explain it.

matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: