OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

1.9.m65 - file associations for additional users under WinXP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: 1.9.m65 - file associations for additional users under WinXP Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just installed 2.0 preview (1.9.m65) and was very happy to see that this version supports multiple users under Win XP! However I noticed something that might be able to be improved:

I installed the program and selected the option to apply the install to all users of the computer. I also selected the option to associate Open Office with the .doc .xls filetypes. The file associations worked perfectly for the user I used for the install.

However, when I logged in as another user I could see and use Open Office 2.0 preview, but the file associations for the .doc and .xls etc were not done. I know that these associations can easily be done manually, but I figured there must be an option for a user to do this more easily (since the average user won't know how to do it via explorer). Unfortunately I couldn't find anything under the Load/Save options, I was hoping to find a check box saying something like "Use Open Office to load MS Office documents".

Can I make a suggestion? How about Open Office checks to see if it is associated with the MS Office file extensions, and if not it prompts the user on startup to ask them if they want to change it? Much the same way as browsers check to see if they are the default, and give you the option of changing it, as well as "Don't ask this again".

Or did I miss something? If not, does anyone else agree that this is a change that should really make it into 2.0?

Mark
ftack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nd was very happy to see that this version supports multiple users under Win XP! However I noticed something that might be able to be improved:

I just wanted to point out that OOo always has supported multiple users. However, this required a two step installation, 1) setup -net and 2) for each user: running the setup installed during 1). The way it is implemented in the new vesion will be much easier for many people. That under Win XP file associations are not set for all users is indeed an issue, but then, this is still a developpement version.
markf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a list somewhere of feature requests, and has this request already been entered on it? If you know of one, can you post a link?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: