OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Mailing Labels
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonywhelan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Open Source is being promoted by the Democrats Reply with quote

I'm not a member of parliament but I know the Democrats are pushing for open source to be considered in lieu of proprietary (and expensive) software like MS.

I work for a unit of NSW Health and am hoping that some options for trialling Open Office might be engineered during 2004. We could save $633 per PC on MS Office.

TW
MArkh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's is absolutely unreal how difficult it is to print a sheet of labels in OO. I have also been trying this all morning and have not got it to work yet. the source is a spread sheet of incrementall numbers to be used as serial numbers. that too about 15 seconds to create. I have spent the last 2 and a half hours trying to get the numbers to print on avery return address labels but it simply will not work. I could have hand typed these labels in less time.

I'm very unhappy with how this feature works and can't even begin to tell you where I am running into a problem. the closest I have come is to print out an entire sheet of the first record which is useless to me..

I am so frustrated right nowand the directions are about as clear as mud. I'm going to go do this by hand.

::Frustrated beyond belief::
WisCOSH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: MAiling Labels : more than 1 page Reply with quote

I know it's been a while since the last post to this subject but I'm having a horrid time trying to print out lables, but first things 1st :
System : Intel Celeron D 2.0GHz running Win2000 SP4 with OO ver 1.1.2
Problem : I have several mailing lists, all of which have over 400 records. I need to print mailing lables. Like the previous posters I have no trouble getting the first page but know that my [Avery 5960 3x10 sheets] list should generate many more sheets than that. I am using an .XLS file and am able to select all the feilds I need and all the records to use but only get one page of lables. I too was getting so frustrated that I began setting up a sheet for every 30 lables but that's the worst idea ever!
I had used earlier versions of OO but had never before needed to make mailing lables. Would somebody PLEASE change the directions in the help file. Once I found out that there is NO button labled Mail Merge and that the Data to Fields is not the way to do it, although it SOUNDS like it should be!
I am running a small non-profit and am responcible for our switch to OO from the M$ garbage. I almost had to bite down hard on it and switch back. WHEW!!!
Thanks forum posters!!!!!!
Safety BEFORE Profits!
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The icon is currently called Mail Merge but in SO6 it is called Form Letter and perhaps also in OO1.1.2. In either case it is immediately to the right of Data to Fields.

There was a bug with more than one page in prior versions but I think it was fixed by OO1.1. However, I would suggest an upgrade to 1.1.4 just for the sake of other bug fixes and improvements.
WisCOSH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
The icon is currently called Mail Merge but in SO6 it is called Form Letter and perhaps also in OO1.1.2.

You are quite correct and I was reading while posting and trying to figure it out and did in the middle of my post. Embarassed Thanks. I hope that the documentation in the help file will reflect this nomenclature.

JohnV wrote:
However, I would suggest an upgrade to 1.1.4 just for the sake of other bug fixes and improvements.

I have been wanting to upgrade but all the talk of the emminent release of a new version has kept me from doing so as I don't wish to be installing/un-installing/installing/etc...
All in all this is the best Office suite I've used and tell people about it ALL the time. One day soon there will be an end to the 'monopoly of the mediocre' and a flurishing of the masses helping one another do what we need to do.
Thanks to the posters for taking the time to help those of us that are a little behind the curve. Very Happy
Safety BEFORE Profits!
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Glad you got that worked out. On the subject of upgrading, it's no big deal. Run the Setup and OOo will find your old version and give you a chance to install over it. I have done this often without a problem. I prompted to overwrite a file I let it. On the other hand you can install into a new directory and leave the old version alone.

I think there will be quite a few people that stay with OO1.1.4 for a while, at least, as OO2 has speed issues that will bother them.

And speaking of labels, currently in OO2 if you wanted to print 100 of your 400 you would have to either create a query that could pick those 100 or do them one page at a time with Data to Fields or use the new mail merge wizard and exclude the other 300 one at a time. Put another way, you cannot select records as now for a mail merge. I have filed an issue in the SO8 beta testing forum and it has been forwarded to the developers.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'm no in any sort of business, so perhaps I should mind my own. It is just that the problems arising from trying to print envelopes and labels has arisen more times with this and just about any other equivalent software more times than it is possible to count. Over the decades, I have reached the conclusion that, in as much as the office suite is a marvelous software concept, one should not expect it to do absolutely everything perfectly well. In as much as it is a basis for further development of special purpose files, so is DOS. Sure, anything can be developed with a great deal of effort from either basis. The problem is ...is it really worth that effort?

Basically, the problem [thinking specifically of Calc applications, but any, such as using a word processor to write web pages will do] is that people think that they are saving money by pursuing this expectation of having one program to do all. What they forget is that "time is money". Instead of using perfectly good, and readily available and dedicated software, they choose to thrash around spending many, many sometimes frustrating hours trying to build their own set of programs out of the one, so becoming "programmers", actually developing what amounts to a new program from this basis to suit their own purpose. They spend time being programmers, editors, typesetters, printers, .... instead of concentrating on their own stock in trade.

Is it not worthwhile, if in a business, to purchase appropriate dedicated software, and then get a really good accountant?

I don't know if it will serve this specific purpose, but there is available Avery Labels Pro for printing labels of all sorts. I think that if I ran a business that depended on employees spending untold hours trying to fashion a label making program from a word processor, I'd be soon out of business. I'd rather send one out to find the program already available and use it. But then, what do I know?

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: