OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Converting Styles to Manual Formatting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schrompf

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Converting Styles to Manual Formatting Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

it is a common task for Writer users working with documents coming from other people to convert those people's manual formatting to proper logical markup, i.e. styles, and I've found a lot of threads on that issue.

I'd like to (or rather, I have to) go the other way round. I have to submit an article to a book's editor who requested that no styles be used. All the formatting (bold headings, italic emphases...) has to be hard-coded, physical markup.

Now my question is: how do turn a document that makes proper use of styles into a document that doesn't -- while, of course, retaining its appearance? So that, for example, a heading is not marked (logically) as, say, »Heading 2«, but as »default« with all its formatting coded physically. I've been thinking about converting the document to some old, simple format that does not use styles, but even the oldest one I could think of (RTF) seems to do.

Any hints are appreciated, thanks a lot!
best,
Nils.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if RFT won't do it, you could just post a text version into OOo or Word and hand format everything but this seems perverse.

Any idea of why the editor wants a hard-formated document? I can see why one might want one that is not formatted at all but hard formattig?
schrompf

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply!

jrkrideau wrote:
but this seems perverse.

it does, particularly when taking into account that I'm writing my texts in TeX, which is kind of the epitome of logical markup Cool

Writer (which, don't get me wrong, is a great tool for some purposes) is only involved because I have to submit my text in doc or opendoc format. TeX, when set to OpenDoc output, provides me with a perfectly formatted .odt document with styles and everything, which usually is fine, but in this case: that's where the trouble starts. I have a document that uses styles, but I'm supposed to submit one that doesn't.

Quote:
Any idea of why the editor wants a hard-formated document?

It's a low-budget project; proceedings of a conference. A poor student assistant is going to have the honor of producing a book out of a dozen or so contributions -- using Word or Writer. The editor says that task's going to be easier if no styles are used by the authors.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schrompf wrote:
thanks for your reply!

jrkrideau wrote:
but this seems perverse.

it does, particularly when taking into account that I'm writing my texts in TeX, which is kind of the epitome of logical markup Cool

Writer (which, don't get me wrong, is a great tool for some purposes) is only involved because I have to submit my text in doc or opendoc format. TeX, when set to OpenDoc output, provides me with a perfectly formatted .odt document with styles and everything, which usually is fine, but in this case: that's where the trouble starts. I have a document that uses styles, but I'm supposed to submit one that doesn't.

Quote:
Any idea of why the editor wants a hard-formated document?

It's a low-budget project; proceedings of a conference. A poor student assistant is going to have the honor of producing a book out of a dozen or so contributions -- using Word or Writer. The editor says that task's going to be easier if no styles are used by the authors.

So, in other words, the editor does not know what he/she is talking about! The poor assistant.

I still think the only thing to do is to paste in a text version of the document and hard format it by hand. I wonder if tabs are accepted? Smile

It is absolutely ridiculous to go from TeX to hard formatting !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: