OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Saving uncompressed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akohlsmith
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Saving uncompressed? Reply with quote

Is it possible to save documents uncompressed (i.e. straight OO-XML) ? I'd like to store documents in CVS but unfortunately CVS and binary data just don't mix very well.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi akohlsmith,

Please file and request with OOo. Me too find that the zipped file format sometimes gives trouble and slows down the process of file opening.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in assuming the request is to be able to save files in XML format? If so then I agree that OOo lacks any good filters for generic formats.

.rtf format is supported really badly, and .xml does not appear to be supported at all. For a suite that is keen to show off that it uses xml based formats, one would certainly expect that it would also support actual .xml files, but the developers seem to have other ideas.

Another thing I never understood is why it is a major selling point of OOo that its nativce formats are based on XML principles. I can not see what difference it makes to anyone what the file formats are based on, as it is still the case that OOo is the only program to be able to open them.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Another thing I never understood is why it is a major selling point of OOo that its nativce formats are based on XML principles. I can not see what difference it makes to anyone what the file formats are based on, as it is still the case that OOo is the only program to be able to open them.

How can I not agree with your opinion?
fedetxf
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

There are a trillion programs that can open the OOo format. It's standard XML so anybody can get what's stored in it as easyly and you can now open it with notepad and see it.
The XML allows automatic transformations independent of the content.
What you are saying is that the format is still new and not extremely popular so there are not tools to edit them in wysiwyg form. Thet tool is the OpenOffice suite.

Compare the flexiility of the OOo format with the doc or xls format. Try opening them with anything that is now word or excel. Good luck.

On a non-geek POV, yes, selling OOo to regular user with the XML argument is not very effective. Luckily, OOo has tons of useful features and strengths to gain market.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, programs such as notepad can open XML files, but OOo documents are not actual *.XML files, and so can not be successfully opened in this way.

You could uncompress the files using a zip program, but what use is this? you still get unusable XML files out of it, which, at least in my experience, contain coding errors whch mean that they can not be viewed properly in program except OOo, so you are no better off than you would be using a proprietary file format.
fedetxf
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Yes, programs such as notepad can open XML files, but OOo documents are not actual *.XML files, and so can not be successfully opened in this way.

You could uncompress the files using a zip program, but what use is this? you still get unusable XML files out of it, which, at least in my experience, contain coding errors whch mean that they can not be viewed properly in program except OOo, so you are no better off than you would be using a proprietary file format.

I think the contents.xml is more usable then a doc.
Besides the opennes of OOo's format is not in the sense "all programs can open an edit our format", but "the format is not secret, and you can use it too in your app, too".
KirkJobSluder
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving uncompressed? Reply with quote

akohlsmith wrote:
Is it possible to save documents uncompressed (i.e. straight OO-XML) ? I'd like to store documents in CVS but unfortunately CVS and binary data just don't mix very well.

I've had good luck storing the files in CVS in binary mode. If you want to force binary handling of OOo files in CVS, you can add the following to your cvs wrappers.

*.sx* -k 'b' -m 'COPY'
KirkJobSluder
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the contents.xml is more usable then a doc.
Besides the opennes of OOo's format is not in the sense "all programs can open an edit our format", but "the format is not secret, and you can use it too in your app, too".

Yep, I was able to whip up a quick script to walk through content.xml in about a half hour, and I'm an XML novice. However, there really needs to be some basic scripts writted for getting prettier output and processing. One of the things I would love is a good unix-style diff to compare changes between two documents. Also, although the xml is well formed, it does not always makes semantic sense. (Why is a single word in a paragraph formatted as a separate span?) Also in order to save space OOo does not use linebreaks between tags making it pointess to just try "diff" on its own. Probably for my own benefit I'll figure out enough about writer xml to extract text for diffs.

But seriously, there are some good opportunities for the OOo format. Just eyeballing it, it should not be a big deal to perform on-the-fly conversion to xhtml. (Decompress and transform with a stylesheet.) A bit beyond my current skill but someone needs to do it.

In regards to zip, I think it comes less out of a need for compression and more out of a need to bundle the stylesheet and content together into one package. Java does it the same way.
Aceb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: saving with newlines Reply with quote

Goto tools->options->load/save

uncheck 'Size optimization for XML format (no pretty printing)' and you get your newlines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: