OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Assigning a Writer Macro to an Alt-Key

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curbuntu
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Assigning a Writer Macro to an Alt-Key Reply with quote

I'm making the transition from MS Word to OOo Writer. There are a few macros I created in Word and use constantly. I have been able to recreate these macros in Writer. So far, so good.

I have associated (what I believe to be) the latest version of Java with Writer (Tools | Options | OpenOffice.org | Java), can get to the Tools | Customize | Keyboard area, and can select a macro under Functions | Category | Function.

What I can't figure out is how to associate this macro with an Alt-key combination. For the purpose of this post, let's say I want to associate the DoSuchAndSuch macro with the Alt-D combination. Is this possible, or am I limited to one of the "open" shortcut keys listed in the top half of the dialog box? (I realize that certain Alt-key combos are reserved for calling the drop-down menus and I avoid these.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ALT- key combinations aren't available. You can register and vote for the enhancement request:

Expand shortcut possibilities
Curbuntu
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Alt-Key Voting Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out to me that I can vote on this; I have now done so. Let's hope that this (any many other features) appear in version 3.0. These temporary setbacks are part of the cost of transitioning to a less-mature (but very capable) office suite. Nevertheless, I'm going to immerse myself in the OOo products and get better acquainted with them.
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Alt-Key Voting Reply with quote

Curbuntu wrote:
Thanks for pointing out to me that I can vote on this; I have now done so. Let's hope that this (any many other features) appear in version 3.0. These temporary setbacks are part of the cost of transitioning to a less-mature (but very capable) office suite. Nevertheless, I'm going to immerse myself in the OOo products and get better acquainted with them.

Note that the left Alt key is (by convention) reserved as a menu key and on many keyboards the left Alt key is the AltGr key which actually sends a Ctrl-Alt Alt and is used for extra characters and accents on many keyboards.

Going against standard usage would hardly be a sign of a more mature application. Which is why most applications don't use Alt or Ctrl-Alt funcitons.
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Alt-Key Voting Reply with quote

Curbuntu wrote:

Note that the left Alt key is (by convention) reserved as a menu key and on many keyboards the left Alt key is the AltGr key which actually sends a Ctrl-Alt and is used for extra characters and accents on many keyboards.

Going against standard usage would hardly be a sign of a more mature application. Which is why most applications don't use Alt or Ctrl-Alt functions. Documentation for keyboards editors advise that the Alt sequences and Ctrl-Alt sequences should normally not be used, or should be used only with great care and awareness of the possible consequences.

Accordingly, don't expect the OpenOffice.org development people to go against an active standard, regardless of votes by people unaware of the standards.
Tommy27
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted for issue 4756 Wink
bach_1006
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be true, but anyone who does a fair amount of scientific writing with Greek symbol inputs will know probably agree that there needs to be some alternative to what we have now. In Word, I used to remap my entire keyboard to get the Greek alphabet through Alt+letter, with Alt+other characters used for things like degrees, arrows, styles etc. I have to say that, for me, this has almost been a deal-breaker for working with OpenOffice. If I wasn't on Linux (where using Word is even harder), I might have already switched back.
Roydel

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Alt-Key Voting Reply with quote

Jallan wrote:

Note that the left Alt key is (by convention) reserved as a menu key and on many keyboards the left Alt key is the AltGr key which actually sends a Ctrl-Alt and is used for extra characters and accents on many keyboards.

Going against standard usage would hardly be a sign of a more mature application. Which is why most applications don't use Alt or Ctrl-Alt functions. Documentation for keyboards editors advise that the Alt sequences and Ctrl-Alt sequences should normally not be used, or should be used only with great care and awareness of the possible consequences.

Accordingly, don't expect the OpenOffice.org development people to go against an active standard, regardless of votes by people unaware of the standards.

This is an excellent argument for the default behavior, but a terrible one for inhibiting customization. I've remapped Alt shortcuts on many apps without issue. Cripes! Confused

Regged and voted. <--- Edit: Oops! Too late.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: