OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Dealing with an unknown WP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Dealing with an unknown WP Reply with quote

I'll be editing manuscripts from a student and can't get a clue what I'm seeing. My email program started stripping out all the spaces after all the periods in the first manuscript.

When I copied it into OO Writer the spaces were all there - AFTER a small gray bar the height of a cap letter. Period, bar, space.

Is there a way to identify what character the gray bar represents?
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your student what word processor (s)he is using, and get e-mail software that doesn't mess around with attachments. Seriously, get in control of the situation.
My guess is that the grey bar is a non-breaking space (that's always displayed that way). Sign up at the official community forum (see my sig for the link) and ask your question there (if you didn't already); you can upload documents there to make your problem more clear to the people answering questions.
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
Ask your student what word processor (s)he is using, and get e-mail software that doesn't mess around with attachments. Seriously, get in control of the situation.
My guess is that the grey bar is a non-breaking space (that's always displayed that way). Sign up at the official community forum (see my sig for the link) and ask your question there (if you didn't already); you can upload documents there to make your problem more clear to the people answering questions.

She finally figured out that she has Word 2010. Maybe that will read OO Writer's 97 version output?

Yes, using Alternative Find/Replace I figured out they are, indeed, unbreakable spaces. Apparently when you double space a sentence, 2010 replaces one space with the unbreakable version. Not sure I see the point. Gotta love those programs that do stuff without asking.
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. To be safe, ask your student (or tell her, dependent on your relation) to save in the older .doc format - Word 97/2000/XP will do fine. OOo can't yet handle the docx format very well, so this might save you from some conversion hassles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: