OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Simple (?) line numbering issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldephart

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Simple (?) line numbering issue Reply with quote

I'll be very grateful if anyone can help me with this, I've been wrestling with the problem for three days, read all about style sheets and creating custom list styles, but I *still* cannot get what I want...

The main body of my document is to consist of a left column, which is to have paragraph numbers, and a right column, which is to where the text goes:

1.0........... Introduction

1.0.1..........Some stuff
1.0.2..........Some stuff goes on this line

..................And here's more material that also belongs under the heading
..................of one point o point 2.

1.0.3..........The third section of of one point o

1.1.............Now we're on to section one point one

1.1.1..........Words

1.1.2..........Further words

[Full stops ....... represent whitespace: this editor seems to chew it up!]

By messing around with list styles, I can get pretty much what I want, until it comes time to adjust either the first or the second number (as in the transition from 1.0.3 to 1.1, above) then, it all goes pear shaped, the "resume numbering" function doesn't just apply to bit I'm working on, it applies to the entire document.

I've tried putting in new pages, and turning numbering off and back on, nothing seems to work. And, if I accidentally delete a number, then the left margin of the text shifts and it's impossible to restore the numbering sequence.

Frankly, for the time I've put in, it would have been easier to put all of the numbering in by hand, but I'm sure that this must be possible and only my stupidity is in my way.

Can any one help? BTW, it doesn't matter to me whether the very first number is 1.0.0 or 1.0 or just 1.
1.0 would be my preferred option, but any logical sequence would be better than nothing!

Thanks for reading this,

Nick
(Oldephart)

Last edited by Oldephart on Fri May 18, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldephart

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resubmitted using ...... to represent whitespace.

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: