OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Want to share/link/connect text between documents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmmstevens

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Want to share/link/connect text between documents Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I've been trying to automate my many word processing documents, and have (unsuccessfully) been experimenting with document properties, input fields, and cross-references. All for naught.

What I would like to do (if possible, without using a database) is to enter text on one document and link or attach it to another document. Cross-reference would be perfect, if there was some way to make it "jump" between documents.

With all that said, I have no problem about restricting both documents to being in the same place, etc. I've even toyed with the idea of making one large document with everything in it, and then adjusting the page numbers with variables to make the page x of y printouts all behave properly.

Ultimately, I want to only enter recurring text once. So, if I need to enter Jane Doe 23 times in the document, it is only entered once. Properties do this nicely, but getting staff to go to document properties is harder than just having them hit a blank and fill it in. As I noted above, I can do this with cross-refs, but I would really like to get the text out of one document and into another.

If anyone know how to make this work with any kind of success, I'd be most grateful to hear your ideas or suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: