OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Relational?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angela71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Relational? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new in the forum and also new in OO.
I have searched till now, and I have understood that OO itself doesn't allow creation of relational databases.
So, I'm not expert Embarassed in programming: what is the simplest way to build a relational database using OO?
You're very kind if you help me!
Bye
angela
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angela,

Glad you found us. Welcome!

Regarding your question, if you tell us a little more about what you're trying to accomplish with your relational database, you may get more helpful answers. That said, OOo works with many existing relational databases, including MySQL and Postgres. It also provides some very basic database functionality out of the box.

What sort of data are you looking to store?

Cheers,
Ed
angela71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'm trying to create a database for my company's warehouse articles: table "article", table "class", table "features", etc..., all tables linked.
how is it possible to do this?
thanks
angela
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that sounds like a relational database. OOo includes the ability to create simple dbase databases but I don't think they're appropriate for what you're doing. Best bet is to create your tables using a real database client, such as mysql client/phpmyadmin for mysql. Then you can use OOo to connect to your database and view/update your data.

OOo does not provide a relational database itself although there is work being done to include a lightweight relational db in the 2.0 series.

Ed
angela71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad oh... right, I think I'll have to give up: I'm not experienced, so I think that I won't be able to install and work with mysql client... it's all quite difficult, I suppose...
thank you so much anyway
bye
angela
Alex Thurgood
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angela71 wrote:
Sad oh... right, I think I'll have to give up: I'm not experienced, so I think that I won't be able to install and work with mysql client... it's all quite difficult, I suppose...
thank you so much anyway
bye
angela

Hi Angela,

You could also try sqlite or hsqldb. Both work with certain liimitations in the current versions of OOo, and hsqldb has been chosen to be integrated into the upcoming version 2 of OOo.

Both allow relations to be defined between tables and do not require a server installation.

Alex
angela71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I tried to install sqlite, but it's too difficult for me: I'm not good in programming.
I downloaded sqlite and its sources, I tried to compile them but I don't really know what to do.
At the end of all, I have many files and... I don't know what to do with them! Sad

I think I'll give up!

Thank you...
bye
angela
GideonGorni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Angela,
You can divide your work to two steps:
1. You should let someone expert to build the datebase in his computer. That mean the tables and relations.
2. You copy the database file/s to your computer and use ODBC to conect to the database throgh OO.
The ODBC let you manege the database without instaling the database softwear. you need only the drivers.

Gideon
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draude wrote:
Okay, that sounds like a relational database. OOo includes the ability to create simple dbase databases but I don't think they're appropriate for what you're doing. Best bet is to create your tables using a real database client, such as mysql client/phpmyadmin for mysql. Then you can use OOo to connect to your database and view/update your data.

OOo does not provide a relational database itself although there is work being done to include a lightweight relational db in the 2.0 series.

Ed

OOo Calc in 1.0.x or 1.1.x can be used to create a single table dbase file and when registered as a database in the Data Sources, in the database available in that the structure can be edited to add extra tables and relations between the tables. OOo Base that will be in version 2.0 is a standalone application with many of the features of a RDBMS that can create databases from scratch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: