OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Creating a database for clothes which allows 'pairing'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tardypigeon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Creating a database for clothes which allows 'pairing' Reply with quote

Hi there

I've had a good read through the forum but couldn't find anything to help me with my issue, which is that I want to make a database, complete with pictures, of all my clothes. That bit is not really a problem. I can make a really basic database. My problem is that I want to specify a link between various items to suggest those that go together.

So I want the database to have the following attributes: picture of each item, colour, genre (e.g. shirt, trousers, shoes, tie), formality (formal/casual). That bit is all fairly easy to do. What I can't do is pair up various items in such a way that 'Black trousers' could have a relationship to a whole host of other items.

Ideally, I'd like to use it to create a programme or webpage that would help you choose which clothes to wear (for example), so that if you click on 'Bermuda shorts' (and no, I don't own a pair myself) you see a list of pairings so that it would show 'Hawaiian shirt' but not 'Black Tie'.

I realise not all of that is possible in Base, but I wondered if Base could do the, well, basics. Of course, if anyone knows of an alternative way of doing this, I'd be glad to know.

And yes, I do realise this sounds like a very serious case of OCD here, but really it is more of an obsession to prove to myself that such a database is possible.

Thanks for reading,

Tardy.
DonaldEdna
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

At first you create a database complete with pictures, of all your clothes, then attributes: picture of each item, colour, genre (e.g. shirt, trousers, shoes, tie), formality (formal/casual).

Thanks
Donal
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tardypigeon wrote:
I want to make a database, complete with pictures, of all my clothes...I want to specify a link between various items to suggest those that go together.

Your requirements are fundamental to a relational database.

You're basically describing a many-to-many relationship between clothing items.

Storing photos in a database requires some additional design considerations. I use a dedicated table in 1:1 or 1:n (one-to-many) relationship to store image files for contact lists because a separate table allows you to store one (1:1) or more (1:n) pictures per record while maintaining database performance. Base Forms can be used to re-assemble the clothing-item record with the associated photo(s) automatically (through SubForm linking). Or you can use a nested-query to search the main table for a record, while retrieving the related photo, all without a database performance hit. Otherwise, you can save your pictures to a dedicated picture folder and utilize a Text file database link. Both are demonstrated at the links below:

tardypigeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant dacm. So it looks like it'll be fairly tricky. There's one other thing that is probably asking too much of Base, but it seems so open and flexible I think it's worth asking: could I design a form which allows me to form the 'pair' relationship between items that takes the form of two pictures, one of the chosen item and one of another item, with a YES and a NO button. Once I click the YES button, the chosen item would be 'paired' and then a different pic would load to be paired with the chosen pic, and so on.

What I'm really asking is 'Is it possible to simplify the form which creates relations between items to just pictures once the various entries are there?'

Thanks again

Tardy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: