OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OO-help-find not working, needs JRE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsjm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: OO-help-find not working, needs JRE Reply with quote

1) I downloaded OO and it appears to be working except for the help-find menu.
I get the following error:
"OpenOfice.org requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to preform this task. Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice.org

2) OO tools set-up:
tools->options->java manu:
(checked) Use java run time environment
Jave Runtime Environment (JTE) already installed
vendor,verson,features -> Add... C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
OO replys with "the folder you selected does not contain a jave run time environmmnt. Please select a different folder.
I tries all the folders with the same error message.
I have re-booted several times

3) Since I used the OO website (below) and the Oracle download The Jave version & install must be correct. Oracle Java test confirmed working.

4) there is no additional help on this OO web page and links.

5) by chance I also added the java path to the windows path environmental variable.

6) Please reply with detailed JRE install instructions for OO

-----------------------------------------------------
Java down load source, I downloaded java from:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html

the Oracle Java Test results: "Your Java is working"
the following system info was returned indicating success:
Vendor: Oracle Corporation
Version: Java SE 7 update 4
Operating system: Windows XP 5.1
Archetecture x86 (32-bit)
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo doesn't support Java 7. Make sure that you get the 32 bit 6.x version.
bsjm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the very fast reply.

Instead of downloading the older java-6, i updated my OO from 3.1 to 3.4.0(incubating) and did not change my java-7 instalation. Unfortunately there are more than one OO install packages and as a "nubie" one can become easily confused. In my case I did an incremental update to OO-3.4.0 from the OO-3.1-help menue (you must exit OO before updating), but if i were to do it again, i would try the following on my windows XP:

1) remove any previous versions of OO
2) install java-7 first, and check it with the Orical web based tester.
http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html
3) install OO second
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/
4) inspect (do not change) OO-tools-options..-OpenOffice.org-Java selection "use Java runtime environment" checked and the automatic population of vendor = Oracle Corporation version 1.7.0_04 (later revisions are likely)
5) I don't think that the windows environmental PATH variable needs changing.

Good luck fellow "nubies"
tony61362

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: help! my data is missing how can i find it? Reply with quote

i updated that you sent to me and lost my years of datas !!!! how can i get it back?
i try recovery it did not work so i undo it.
first when i try to open my database it read "the openoffice.org configuration has been changed under tools-options- openoffice.org- java, select the java runtime environment you want to have used by openoffice.org" i could not understand that so i try updating java no change that when i decided to go back to the old one through recovery it did not restored my data . please help me get it back, thank you
bsjm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) At present, I have very little experience with OO, and my post only documented what I did to get my help menu working. I did not send any updates to anyone, is it possible that you are replying to another post?

2) From reading other posts by other authors, I am understanding that OO-3.1 is compatible with JRE-6, and OO-3.4 with JRE-7. They should not be matched otherwise. Your post does not exactly specify your update procedure, and I have no experience with the “recovery” feature. It’s a long shot, but you might look through all sub directories under Windows “Documents and Settings” and under each user to find your lost data. Removing/changing a program usually does not delete user data. You might try a search on revision date.

3) As a reminder, all computer users should have a back-up method to recover from catastrophic failures. I use a $6 flash drive. Your disk drive could go at any moment! It has happened to me.

4) Finally, I suggest that you open a new post with this topic and a better explanation of your procedure and request help by someone more qualified than I.
tony61362

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsjm wrote:
1) At present, I have very little experience with OO, and my post only documented what I did to get my help menu working. I did not send any updates to anyone, is it possible that you are replying to another post?

2) From reading other posts by other authors, I am understanding that OO-3.1 is compatible with JRE-6, and OO-3.4 with JRE-7. They should not be matched otherwise. Your post does not exactly specify your update procedure, and I have no experience with the “recovery” feature. It’s a long shot, but you might look through all sub directories under Windows “Documents and Settings” and under each user to find your lost data. Removing/changing a program usually does not delete user data. You might try a search on revision date.

3) As a reminder, all computer users should have a back-up method to recover from catastrophic failures. I use a $6 flash drive. Your disk drive could go at any moment! It has happened to me.

4) Finally, I suggest that you open a new post with this topic and a better explanation of your procedure and request help by someone more qualified than I.

i was referring to ooo about the update. i didnt know how to work this , sorry , but it sounded similar to my problem the reason why i post this. you know, i discover all i had to do is click on the little circle next to the oracle corporation and a red dot appeared in java option. it could at least have select next to the vendor to let me know that is to be selected, for crying out loud.
i thinking about getting ssd and use my hdd that i have now as back up im afraid that flash drive would cover very little on my hdd .
thanks for ur input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: