OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can't open a Word document from old hard drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juiceimus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Can't open a Word document from old hard drive Reply with quote

Hello I am new to OpenOffice,, I recently bought a new hard drive and installed Windows 7.. I didn't realize Microsoft Word didn't come with it so I searched around and found OpenOffice which I think is great.

I recently moved an old word document from my last hard drive and I am having trouble opening it in OO.. I double click it and the OO box pops up for a split second then nothing.. I tried just opening up writer and dropping the file in and still nothing.

When I try to open it in wordpad it appears to be written in code.. and when I open it in notepad its the same except some of the words are mixed in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can't open a Word document from old hard drive Reply with quote

Juiceimus wrote:
Hello I am new to OpenOffice,, I recently bought a new hard drive and installed Windows 7.. I didn't realize Microsoft Word didn't come with it so I searched around and found OpenOffice which I think is great.

I recently moved an old word document from my last hard drive and I am having trouble opening it in OO.. I double click it and the OO box pops up for a split second then nothing.. I tried just opening up writer and dropping the file in and still nothing.

When I try to open it in wordpad it appears to be written in code.. and when I open it in notepad its the same except some of the words are mixed in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

What is your version of OOo?
What version of Word was used to create the doc file?
Is OOo working okay otherwise? For example what happens if you create an odt document and save it in Word format? Does it open correctly?
Juiceimus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have OO 3.3.. I am unsure of the version of word I assume whatever came with vista so maybe 2007.. and OO works perfectly in every other way.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click on the file and select Open with and select Choose Default Program, then choose Openoffice Writer and check the box to "Always open with this program".
Juiceimus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that when I moved it over.. as I said before when I click it the OpenOffice startup screen pops up for a split second and then nothing happens.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the file somewhere like mediafire.com so we can look at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: