OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Transparent background

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paigetheoracle
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Transparent background Reply with quote

Is it possible to get a transparent background when printing documents as I'm designing ideas for black T-Shirts at CafePress and it says any background colour will come out, if it isn't see-through? Can I do it with Open Office or do I need to get other software for my Mac OSX?
Writer of wrongs, stumbler and bumbler through life, living beyond my means (no income, so dependent upon my partner's generosity and waiting for that big break, which at sixty, doesn't look like it's going to come anytime soon).
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo isn't really publishing software, that is: it lacks some of the more advanced fine-tuning options for formatting text. You may be better off with something else.
paigetheoracle
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
OOo isn't really publishing software, that is: it lacks some of the more advanced fine-tuning options for formatting text. You may be better off with something else.

It doesn't have to be brilliant for what I want - I'm not brilliant with computers myself. All I want is to be able to publish words on a translucent background, so that they'll be able to go onto black t-shirts (I've designed artwork to go with lighter tees but it's cut outs from magazines or hand drawings as I know I'm not able to create images, using software as I don't have the time or inclination: If I miss out artwork it's no big deal as I'm a wordsmith first and foremost).
Writer of wrongs, stumbler and bumbler through life, living beyond my means (no income, so dependent upon my partner's generosity and waiting for that big break, which at sixty, doesn't look like it's going to come anytime soon).
keme

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo Draw will set a non transparent background for all exported graphics. While it can be made to output with transparent background, it is rather limited, cumbersome and error prone.
The process outlined: Export your graphic as a bitmap (which will have a non-transparent background), insert that graphic back into a Draw document, edit the graphic with eyedropper to alter the white background to transparent, and save it as an image again.
I have used it myself, but I do not recommend that procedure as anything other than an emergency fix.

For your text and graphics, InkScape is probably a better tool. It has very flexible tools for text flow, coloration, and other effects, and supports transparency well. For images and other pixelmaps there is also the GIMP, but I guess that's not what you're after.

Scribus is another tool that may do the job, but that is primarily for paper publications so the use of transparent background is probably not obvious. (Been a while since I used that, so I'm not sure if it is at all possible.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: