OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to insert field that references page number of element?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedirunner
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: How to insert field that references page number of element? Reply with quote

I would like to create a multi-page document where I can insert a field that references the page number that some particular element (for example, a picture). So, on page 15, I insert text that says "see the image on page <page number of element>" and if that element is on page 17, then "17" will be inserted. If I make changes to the document, then the field is automatically updated to the correct value so it always displays/prints correctly.

How can I insert a field such as this?

On a related topic, if I am doing a newsletter type of a document, I may need to say that an article is "continued on page <insert page number here>..." How do I refer to the page on which an article continues? Of course, if I re-format the document, I'd like the page number to be updated.

Thanks!

Kevin
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a right click on the left toolbar, select "visible buttons" and add (if them was not added before) "Insert Caption" and "Insert Field Reference".
The first button allow you to put an automatic caption with automatic numbering "around" you figure. The second one allows you to reference to it.
Once you create your caption, in order to insert the reference click on that second button; a dialog opens. Select "References" tab; under "Type" select "Illustration" (or the name you putted to your caption frame): under selection you have all your pictures, and under "format" you can choose what you want to display (the number of the illustration, its page, etc.)
goa103
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to insert field that references page number of eleme Reply with quote

jedirunner wrote:
On a related topic, if I am doing a newsletter type of a document, I may need to say that an article is "continued on page <insert page number here>..." How do I refer to the page on which an article continues? Of course, if I re-format the document, I'd like the page number to be updated.

What's the file format of your newsletter ? HTML ? If it's for the web forget about page numbers, use hyperlinks to reference objects like images and tables. Page numbers are only suitable for printed documents.
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To refer to your "continuation" page, first insert a bookmark at the start of your continuing text. Then you can refer to the page number of that bookmark using Insert - Cross reference, type: Bookmarks, Format: page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: