OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Multiple Language Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jumbled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Multiple Language Support Reply with quote

I have an English version of Open Office and I also wanted to get German language support. I was wondering if anyone knew how to install both together? Do I need to do a new installation, is there a plugin, or do I need both versions? Your help is appreciated.
DiGro
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on your needs.

English version = all English menu's, Help etc.
German version = all German menu's, Help etc.

If that is what you want you have to install both versions, beside each other.

If you mean by language support the German dictionary and/or thesaurus then you
can put them in the English version and use them there.

DiGro
goa103
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple Language Support Reply with quote

jumbled wrote:
I have an English version of Open Office and I also wanted to get German language support. I was wondering if anyone knew how to install both together? Do I need to do a new installation, is there a plugin, or do I need both versions? Your help is appreciated.

I understand you both want to install OOo in English and German, would you like to switch from one language to an other from time to time ? I would definitely like to see this feature but as far as I know, it's not available. You have to install multiple versions of OOo and launch the one you want to use... It's non-sense as OOo is a large application, it means about 90% of the installed resources are duplicated.

Technically I don't know if there's an easy workout, separating the language resources (interface texts, help files, tips of the day...) from the binary files (programs, DLL...) would be a solution. Some well designed applications even allow you to change the language at runtime, FeedDemon for example. It uses language resource files for each language and update the resources at runtime, you don't even have to restart. This application is written in Delphi but I'm sure these internatlization features are available in Python, language in which OOo is written, if I'm not mistaken.

This is a feature I need as I would like to use OOo in french, english and japanese.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: