OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Types or Kinds of OO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pennsy_Nut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Types or Kinds of OO Reply with quote

I've been using OOO 3.3 for quite a while now. Received an update notice and it is for Apache OO 3.4. And when searching in Google, the web site OO.org indicates OOO 3.1. What is the difference? Why should I care. Isn't OOO Oracle Open Office? So who is Apache? Obviously a newcomer. But that's what Libre Office is. There are too many competitors out here. How does an average normal PC user figure out what is what. It isn't bad enough the choices on the Internet now without complicating my life? LOL But I'd like some help here. 73 yrs old and am only confused.
floris_v

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome. It's quite simple really. When Oracle bought Sun, some people got fed up with the uncertainty about the future of OOo, so they started the LibreOffice project. Oracle soon lost interest in OOo (if they ever had any) and donated the source code and all rights to Apache (you know, the developer of the well known web server). So Apache OpenOffice is the successor of OpenOffice.org.
Pennsy_Nut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Types or Kinds of OO Reply with quote

Thanks for making it simple. So why does the "OO" web site offer 3.1? I have 3.3 from them and if Apache is the new/3.4, how do these "stack up" to Libre Office? And even though I understand the reason for multiple OO, Microsoft's Office 2007 or 2003 still have followers [Not Offices, but individuals.] And there are a lot of spread sheets out there that do Not work on OO, only MO. I can not open a spread sheet [.xls, .odts and now xlsx] in OO, make changes, and be able to open them in the "other" MO or OO or LO. Or if they do open, can not retain the changes. All three do not support the same file. Finally, if I don't save it in ".xls", and send to someone else, they can not open ".ods" or ".xlsx". This is very upsetting and exasperating. Smile Exclamation
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OOo website www.openoffice.org offers V3.4.
floris_v

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Types or Kinds of OO Reply with quote

Pennsy_Nut wrote:
Thanks for making it simple. So why does the "OO" web site offer 3.1? I have 3.3 from them and if Apache is the new/3.4, how do these "stack up" to Libre Office? And even though I understand the reason for multiple OO, Microsoft's Office 2007 or 2003 still have followers [Not Offices, but individuals.] And there are a lot of spread sheets out there that do Not work on OO, only MO. I can not open a spread sheet [.xls, .odts and now xlsx] in OO, make changes, and be able to open them in the "other" MO or OO or LO. Or if they do open, can not retain the changes. All three do not support the same file. Finally, if I don't save it in ".xls", and send to someone else, they can not open ".ods" or ".xlsx". This is very upsetting and exasperating. Smile Exclamation

Uninstall the version that you have, it sounds extremely suspicious.
Pennsy_Nut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Which One? Reply with quote

That brings up another question. Which one? The web site has OO 3.1, there's LO 3.5 ? and this new Apache OO 3.4. Apache sounds like the newest. But, I noticed it's a Huge file. And I thought that was one advantage over MO, the size. My Firefox and Thunderbird take up a much smaller space on the HD than any Microsoft Product. Or even Apple Reader, since I also use Foxit. Or am I to Assume Apache is best? IMHO Computers are not logical as the human brain. Exclamation Smile
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What OO website are you referring to? I hope that you are aware that there are many websites around that offer OOo for download, and some even ask money for a download link. It's quite possible that you found a site linking in malware or worse. There are currently two recently updated versions of OOo/LibreOffice that are worth getting - and it's up to you to make your choice.
- Apache OO from http://www.openoffice.org (you get it from sourceforge.net, but that's fine.
- LibreOffice version 3.5.4 from http://www.libreoffice.org/download
You can have them side by side on the same computer.

Try any other website at your peril.
Pennsy_Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Types or Kinds of OO Reply with quote

Thanks. I downloaded both LO 3.5 and AOO 3.4. I then opened MO Excel, saved a file as ".xlsx", the new Microsoft Proprietary spreadsheet. AOO 3.4 opens it but won't save it as ".xlsx". Why not? If AOO is the newest, and supposedly best?
LO 3.5 not only opened it, but also saved it. So it looks like LO is better than AOO. It's funny. But some spread sheets are best opened in MOE, some in LO and some in AOO. We must keep all three to optimize our spread sheets. ?? I agree about "all the other Office Suites". And I don't trust a lot of stuff on the Internet. Thank God I have a brain. I can see where some people [no cruelty intended.] could have a lot of trouble understanding all this. Especially us elderly. [This is in no way critical of anyone.] But thanks again. FYI I couldn't find all the ".exe" files needed to install MO, but the two SP's alone are over 500,000. AOO is 148,244 and LO is 214,812. I would think that smaller is better, but in this case, the middle size is best. Viva Libre Office. LOL
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends. LibreOffice (with much of the code of the former fork go-oo) has better support for the MSO formats, while OOo proper doesn't fully support MSO 2007 and later, as you have found. On the other hand, some people say that LO is buggier.
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
That depends. LibreOffice has better support for the MSO formats

So claims the TDF, but I haven’t seen any real prove of that.

Quote:
OOo proper doesn't fully support MSO 2007

Neither does LibO. Yes, LibO has DOCX export filter, but it’s so bad, that it’s useless. You still have to export to DOC for interoperability with MSO. And LibO’s DOC export filter is worse than OOo’s/AOO’s.

However, LibO has somewhat better export to RTF, but still far from perfect.

Quote:
some people say that LO is buggier

Due to frequent crashes, I dismissed LibO as my working tool and switched to AOO as soon as it emerged, and it runs like a charm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: